A&H

Football: raise your mental game

SM

The avuncular one
Just started reading this book and I have to say it is pretty great. I am quite psychologically minded anyway, and this resonates with me. Lots of tips and exercises for building mental strength and confidence. I heard about it through The fa refereeing magazine.

Really good so far.

The Referee Store
I picked myself up a copy over the summer. Very good book.

I have now finished raising your mental game, it got a little disappointing at the end as it focuses more on life after football for pros (probably useful for those in that situation). The mental skills sections are very good though, so if you can get it cheaply, I would still recommend it.

I have not heard of inverting the pyramid? Will go have a look on amazon.

I've read inverting the pyramid some years ago. Used to read it on the train when I worked. I found I had to be in the right frame of mind to fully appreciate it. Otherwise it was just reading a bunch of words and nottaking them in properly. Which is a waste as it's a really interesting read. The section about the England formation during the 66 World Cup I found particularly interesting. Especially as we essentially debuted a new formation with little prior practise to surprise other teams. Something you could never do now a days!

I did have the other calling me an utter square when I'd talk to her about it.

I'm sure my lady would not be too interested, but I'm a football geek through and through and she'll have to take me. Football was my first love, so she'll loose that battle everytime ;)

I'm sure my lady would not be too interested, but I'm a football geek through and through and she'll have to take me. Football was my first love, so she'll loose that battle everytime ;)

My other half asks to be polite. She doesn't really want to hear about anything football related from me.

If you need a read on developing mental strength then search stuff by Dan Abrahams. Saw him present at a seminar last year. I have used business coaching for nearly 20 years, which uses some of the same techniques as football. Dan's stuff impressed me as he talked about 1% nudges to improve. Realistic small increments that mount up over a period of time. It requires a huge degree of self analysis and reflection, but it makes a difference.

Back