A&H

Fleetwood Vs AFC Wimbledon

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Just seen on Sky Sports FB page, staggering lapse of concentration from the AFCW keeper 2 minutes from time with his side leading 1-0 at the time. Free kick on the edge of his own area, keeper strides to take the free kick, but rolls the ball forward with the sole of his foot before kicking the ball up field with his 2nd touch.

Indirect free kick given to Fleetwood, who scored from the free kick. The dropped 2 points, inferior goal difference and only one game left to play looks to have condemned AFC Wimbledon to relegation. Can't even begin to imagine the mood in the dressing room after the game.

A&H International
I don't think he realised it was a free kick. Not a lot the referee can do other than give the IDFK though, as he definitely blew the whistle.

The 2nd touch is the one on the edge of the area, not the subsequent kick up field so at the point of offence, I’d say I’d is not DOGSO.
The attacker only starts running in after the offence , even if the whistle takes a few seconds more to come

The 2nd touch is the one on the edge of the area, not the subsequent kick up field so at the point of offence, I’d say I’d is not DOGSO.
The attacker only starts running in after the offence , even if the whistle takes a few seconds more to come
It's not though, the referee only blows his whistle before the touch on the edge of the box

There is a single whistle to take the kick after the ball is placed on the edge of the area. The attacker then starts running towards the ball, the keeper rolls it and then takes the kick while the attacker is 20 yards away and not other defender in frame. The the referee blows for the offence. So I'd say second touch would be the kick up field according to the timing of the whistles.

Below images are for location of offence, the attacker, and where the free kick was taken.

1650815745201.png

1650815833117.png

Obviously we can’t see what happened before the video, but the way the keeper is moving the ball out and the lack of reaction from the nearest attacker makes it look like they didn’t have a clue it was even a free kick.

I have to agree, whatever the expectation and despite it being an incredibly unusual situation, this is a clear DOGSO. If you take the GK out of the equation, then it's inevitable that the attacker is going to gain control of the ball in a central position with a clear run / shot on goal. For those who think not, what criteria would you be using to explain to the Observer why it wasn't DOGSO?

I have to agree, whatever the expectation and despite it being an incredibly unusual situation, this is a clear DOGSO. If you take the GK out of the equation, then it's inevitable that the attacker is going to gain control of the ball in a central position with a clear run / shot on goal. For those who think not, what criteria would you be using to explain to the Observer why it wasn't DOGSO?
I didn't realise it possibly could be sir...

Could it technically be a red card? Yes, it could. But I think that would be surprising everyone and not sure many referees in the pro game would be taking that action.

I am convinced that the keeper didn't realise play had been stopped, don't know whether he didn't hear the whistle or just had a brain freeze, but I can't think of any reason why he would do that otherwise.

Could it technically be a red card? Yes, it could. But I think that would be surprising everyone and not sure many referees in the pro game would be taking that action.

I am convinced that the keeper didn't realise play had been stopped, don't know whether he didn't hear the whistle or just had a brain freeze, but I can't think of any reason why he would do that otherwise.
Could you always be YC/RC for double touch offences before the bit about keepers went in?

Seems a bizarre change if so. Going to make what is a very significant change to something that happens once every 10 seasons and watch the almighty 💩storm unfold when a referee is faced with making that decision on a random Saturday in April.

Could you always be YC/RC for double touch offences before the bit about keepers went in?

Seems a bizarre change if so. Going to make what is a very significant change to something that happens once every 10 seasons and watch the almighty 💩storm unfold when a referee is faced with making that decision on a random Saturday in April.
Its a difficult one, as the new law additional specifically talks about the keeper in their own area. Aside from this, don't think there is anything in law that defines whether DOGSO can happen with an IDFK offence.

Back