A&H
IMHO flash cards are invaluable at the right time. I learnt the hard way by not flashing a yellow that preceeded handbags, the classic GK joining in complaints and it coat me promotion as I was being assessed by our chief.

At the right time, a fast red or yellow can be the only thing that will preserve your match control. But they key is the right time... might be once in a blue moon.

I have a red in my front left shorts pocket just in case;)

The Referee Store
I know many US referees in the US often flash cards. I make an intentional effort to be more "English" in my card presentation. It really does help. Last month, I had a U19 boys game. Nothing out of the ordinary, just your usual physical play and some complaining. About five minutes into the second half, Maroon has a clear yellow slide tackle. I come in with a hard whistle. Everyone knows a yellow's coming, including the player. I motion him over to me to isolate him and write his number and offense down with the yellow behind the game card. He accepted the card, and we moved on.

About 10 minutes later, similar situation but this time Blue's player is the offender. This one was in front of the parents. Same technique, player accepted his card, and the game ended without anything close to an incident after that. Even had a parent say that it was unusual to see a referee be so calm dealing with a card.

I really do feel like the slower presentation of cards is something my American colleagues and I need to do more often. It does seem to calm things down all else equal. As others have said, there are times when a flash card is needed. But when it's not, I think we invite some more emotion when we come running in with a card in hand.

I know many US referees in the US often flash cards. I make an intentional effort to be more "English" in my card presentation. It really does help. Last month, I had a U19 boys game. Nothing out of the ordinary, just your usual physical play and some complaining. About five minutes into the second half, Maroon has a clear yellow slide tackle. I come in with a hard whistle. Everyone knows a yellow's coming, including the player. I motion him over to me to isolate him and write his number and offense down with the yellow behind the game card. He accepted the card, and we moved on.

About 10 minutes later, similar situation but this time Blue's player is the offender. This one was in front of the parents. Same technique, player accepted his card, and the game ended without anything close to an incident after that. Even had a parent say that it was unusual to see a referee be so calm dealing with a card.

I really do feel like the slower presentation of cards is something my American colleagues and I need to do more often. It does seem to calm things down all else equal. As others have said, there are times when a flash card is needed. But when it's not, I think we invite some more emotion when we come running in with a card in hand.
I'm also in the US where we don't have to "take names" on cautions. I think it really depends on the style of the ref, the temperature of the game, and the nature of the offense whether the slow card, a flash card, or just showing the card with little ceremony can be appropriate. The latter I've found works just fine when the player knows she just earned the caution--nothing really to simmer. But I totally agree that sometimes coming in quickly can prevent retaliation, and sometimes the slow down can be an effect tool to take some of the air out of the match. (The slow card is also effective, IMO, at younger ages where players aren't used to the idea of getting cautioned and may be upset--best to explain to them first what they did, why it isn't OK, and then that the are being cautioned.) Like many things, I think this is an area where we err by thinking of one-size-fits all. But our colleagues in the UK are told to do it a certain way, so they need to have a really good reason to depart from that formal procedure.

I think there's a world of difference between a "flash card" as described here and the incredibly tedious name-taking approach typically mandated in the UK. It's possible to show a card quickly while still remaining calm, and it's possible to add delays into what would otherwise be a quick approach if you want to slow the game down. But I've never had a player be happier at the end of the name-spelling/patronising explanation of the booking process than they were at the start - it only annoys people further in my experience.

Particularly when you're booking for delaying the restart because a team is trying to waste time at the end of the game, the last thing you want to do is be slowing the game down for a minute or two while you jog over, explain the card, get them to spell out their name, show the card, and then jog back into position. Whistle, show card from a distance, write 3 x 2-digit details on the card/in your book (shirt number, time, caution code) and get on with the game. And even that can feel slow when you've got 22 furious players staring at you!

I see some have alluded to holding cards in the hand when 'arriving' at situations, particularly if its been a bad tackle and a red is to be shown.

I was assessed last month and this was a development point. A player made a 2 footed tackle, completely missed the opponent but a fire was lit. I got in fairly quickly and calmed it all down but the observer said he felt had I taken the red out immediately and walked over with it on show in my hand it wouldn't have flared to start with. The aggrieved team would have been satisfied seeing the red.

Makes sense when you think about it - point taken and lesson learned.

Last edited:
I see some have alluded to holding cards in the hand when 'arriving' at situations, particularly if its been a bad tackle and a red is to be shown.

I was assessed last month and this was a development point. A player made a 2 footed tackle, completely missed the opponent but a fire was lit. I got in fairly quickly and calmed it all down but the observer said he felt had I taken the red out immediately and walked over with it on show in my hand it wouldn't have flared to start with. The aggrieved team would have been satisfied seeing the red.

personally don't agree with that...

If you grab a red card straight out your pocket it gives you no time to think about the decision.

If you don't, you'll buy yourself extra seconds to think about it calmly and come up with the correct decision.

personally don't agree with that...

If you grab a red card straight out your pocket it gives you no time to think about the decision.

If you don't, you'll buy yourself extra seconds to think about it calmly and come up with the correct decision.
Correct if you need this thinking time. Some decisions are in the 'clear zone'. No thinking time is required. Everyone expects a certain colour card. Showing that you are on it quick can help control the situation. Not seeing it quick has some risks without any benefits.

But if you are not sure which colour (if any) card, sure use some thinking time. Another trick to buy yourself more thinking time, given there is no risk of a flair up, is to go to an AR and having a quick chat.

I had a yellow card in the middle of my notebook. So when the book was opened the player immediately saw yellow ..

I also said at some incidents to the player when taking his name and only he could hear - You are not going, so he was aware it would be a yellow and it claimed him down.

Back