A&H

First U18 match of the season.......

mikedn

Referee/Mentor
Away team new to the league, home team done well last season finished mid table. Good clean facilities, and i notice home team kit all folded up and ready for use.... very professional, everybody being polite and courteous from both teams looks like a good match in the offing. Good end to end football home team 2-0 up by the half time whistle. Second half, away team comes out with good passing football and some good shots on goal. But there is always one..... away forward starts appealing for everything (getting frustrated methinks) wave away his appeal for penalty. Five more minutes away side score 1-2. Now throwing everything at the home goal i look at my watch 30 seconds left... said same away forward gets into the box and is brought down, def penalty. Player steps up rocket of a shot into roof of net 2-2.
Takes kick off looks at watch and blows for full time...... wish every match could be so well mannered and just gets on and plays football.
Also spectators were excellent, shouting and supporting their teams no abuse whatsover.

The Referee Store
It's good to hear a positive story. In fact, I had a very similar game myself this past weekend between two mid table U19s teams. Perhaps not the highest skill level but both teams organised and played some good football with 2-3 good individual performances on both sides. Three clear cautions, all accepted without much argument and, honestly, no hassle whatsoever from the side lines. Final score 3-2 to the away team but could have gone either way. Added to that, it was a lovely sunny afternoon so a good day all round.

Back