A&H

First Step 7 Line

The Referee Store
How about: top 3 beginner lino mistakes to avoid:

1. Looking at the flag when signalling. No, look at the field/players/referee

2. Looking at your shoes/hair/watch when play is in the other other half. No, look at the field/players and e.g. behind the referee’s back

3. Arguing with players. No, don’t get sucked in. Players want to argue to undermine the referee. Give quick basic answers (off red last) and shut up - especially when your referee is talking/warning.

And then enjoy lots of eye contact with your ref and you’ll be fine;)

Go on then, top 3 to do:

1. Eye contact with your ref (watch for her/his) tips/decisions.
2. Change hands downstairs (also shows your ref which way you want) and signal upstairs.
3. Take. Your. Time.

Tell the ref its your first game..
He can vary his pre-match and approach to the game in terms of the level of responsibility and support he gives you both before, during and after the game.
Don't be offended when he asks you to concentrate on 1 or 2 things (offsides and ball out of play), it's enough to be getting on with without trying to understand when and when not to support with fouls.

Got my debut on the local step 7 league on the line this Saturday.

What's anyones best tips or words of advice?
Enjoy and don't **** up.....

As others have said, your are there for 2 main reason - offside and ball in/out.

Otherwise, it is 90 mins concentration. Don't think because play is at the other end of the FoP, you can switch off. No, you are the eyes behind the referees back and when the quick break arises, you are the first to be looked at for offsides.

The biggest problem I see with assistants, especially inexperienced ones, is they switch off and lose the offside line. That's usually because they are watching play too much when it is in the other half and not looking forward enough, by the time they do they have drifted off the line. Keep looking forward and take small sideways steps to stay level.

Listen to the spectator behind you, and the keeper in the other half. They are obviously in a more credible position to make a decision than yourself.
To be fair to them....

I once had a spectator tell a player to shut up and leave me alone because I'd got a disallowed goal right!

And then the player came out second half and had a quiet word to say well done I'd got it right and he apologised for his behaviour too!!

(and then I woke up happy 😊)

Back