A&H

First red this season

Glenn

NCFA L7
Needless to say, as with any red it wasn't welcomed!

Bottom 2 of the Anglian Comp Div 6.

There had been 2 players that had been making little remarks at eachother all game, and 87 minutes in, this decides to flare up. Now all I heard was "you fat ginger c***" from one of the players, so immediately i pulled him over.

I don't think he was expecting the red, as I took his name he went to walk away.. I called him back and said that I wouldn't tolerate it, and out came the red!

I then cautioned the other player involved for C1, as I heard nothing from him in that instance, but knew he was provoking it somewhat.

Sound like a fair call?

The Referee Store
While you were right to give the red for the OFFINABUS, do you think that dealing with the nagging issue between the two that had been going on all game would have stopped this from being a problem early on?

As Ross has said you were 100% correct with the red for OFFINABUS (there are two words that I will not tolerate under any circumstances and they both begin with C), however as Ross has also said maybe there might have been a way to nip this one in the bud before it got to the point of the red card. Of course that is easier said than done, we weren't there and thus we don't know what this "little remarks all game" were like but sometimes we are able to influence things. For example a few weeks ago I had a game where two players where starting to become a bit "silly", pushing each other (more than normal), words being exchanged etc so during a stoppage in play I took the oppurtunity to have a chat with both players, independently of each other (and in the "in passing" style) but the words were the same "I've seen what you two are doing and it would be no skin of my nose to give you both a yellow so just watch yourselves and concentrate on the game not each other" which (this time) worked. The funny thing, for me at least, is after my little chat with both of them, they avoided each other like the plague :)

Totally agree. I had something similar on Saturday. Two players on the same side just could stop shouting at each other. 30 seconds in I called them over, gave them a righ rollicking and told them to stop. They did.

You need to see beyond local squabbles and see it they might turn nasty and take the annoyance out on other players.
Stop the arguing and you will stop potential words or worse bad tackles!

Always worked for me..

sorry but this to me would suggest work required on your man management. the first time you hear players niggling, get on it, public warning, this should settle it.

and 87 minutes in, was the game heated? or was it fizzling out? was your match control under threat? did you really need the red card? the next time you go back there beware that you may get considerable grief from that team the second one of the opposition calls them bad names.

be careful cautioning players when you havent seen the offence commited, i'm not saying dont do it, as sometimes its invaluable for your match control. Also i always feel if both players have done somthing to warrent a card, that that card is the same colour for both.

In this instance i wouldnt think what is more important, adhereing strictly to law, or using common sense and perhaps gaining the respect of both sets of players?

i would have brought them both in and told them to cut it out. personal thing, no right or wrong answer.

in summary, dont go looking for trouble, trouble will find you.
good luck

Back