A&H

First ones under the belt

Meltonman

Ref'd my first two games today had an U11 this morning and an U14 this afternoon (legs now starting to complain) no major incidents in either match couple of 'words as I passed' seemed to do the job for the smaller stuff. Had my mentor at the second match who gave me some really good positive feedback and a couple of pointers (not lifting my arm quick enough for offside) but all in all I've had a really good confidence building day.

The Referee Store
been reading through the few notes I made on my second game this Sunday and was wondering what others would have done - I'll explain, ball gets hoofed out of play and over the high fence surrounding pitch so another ball is thrown to me for touch line, I give it a squeeze and think its a bit soft but there is literally 2 mins left of first half so I decide to use it and recover match ball at half time. question - should I have stopped time and insisted match ball be fetched, nobody complained and I have made a mental note to always check 2 balls before kick off in future.

Same category as things like briefing a new CAR a few minutes before half-time. 'Let's wing it 'til half-time' usually works for me for that scenario at the level that I referee :)

As for your o/p, you're lucky that the ball even came to you first. If the fence was at elland road or bramhall lane, during a championship game, I'd say reject the second ball and wait for the first ball, but for Langley Village Eagles, u12's, I'd say let it go and get it sorted at half-time.

Quite right re checking two balls if that's what league rules say but, unless you tuck the second ball in your kit-bag, can you ever be sure that the second ball that you checked is the same ball that makes it onto the pitch?

Football, just one conundrum after another

Cheers haywain, only thing that keeps popping in to my head are the 'what if's' if a goal had been scored or missed could they use the ball being a bit soft as an excuse,

Cheers haywain, only thing that keeps popping in to my head are the 'what if's' if a goal had been scored or missed could they use the ball being a bit soft as an excuse,

They could have used it as an excuse but it's all within the lotg

Woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah....

Langley village eagles are MY made up team. Get you're own.

As Mike said, the perfect made up team of choice.

Be proud, Herts, be very proud :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember we used to have a refchat made up team name courtesy of @Grayson - was little craphampton utd or something like that?

Back