A&H

First Match

Callum Ward

Level 8 Referee
Hi,

I'm refereeing my first match in a fortnight.

1)When do I check kit?
2)Has anyone got a routine when they get to a match (talk to manager, talk to captains etc.)
3)I've got 2 matches straight after each other the next week, with the same home team. Do I wait till the second match to collect it all?
4)How do you go about the managers paying you?
5)How do I find out what the times of the halves are? I've got no competition rules?

Thanks a lot,

Callum

The Referee Store
Hi Callum. If you send me a message with what league(s) you're looking at, I'll send you my answer, because I was in your position a few seasons back:)

hi Callum, first of all good luck! i too was 14 when i took charge of my first match...was nervous as hell! although i still now at 23 get nervous!
ive tried to answer as much as i can for you, but im sure jojo will be of much better assistance

1)When do I check kit? are you talking about your own or the teams? lol if your own then i always check mine at the start of the week (gives me time to get anything i need) once mid way through, then double check the night before, and in the morning of the match - if you are talking about the teams i.e studs etc then i usually do this as per below...
2)Has anyone got a routine when they get to a match (talk to manager, talk to captains etc.) simple stuff, i put my kit bag down away from both teams (usually on the other side of the pitch, although i find in mens football, if its raining, one team will offer to put your bag under cover with their teams) i make myself known to the home team (the guy you organised the match with) have a quick general chat with him, sort out the money, again i like to do this prior to the match, i then go with him and introduce myself to the away team manager, as he does also - this is where i have a word with both of them about my expectations and rules etc - i then sort out a lino from each team and take details in my book i.e captain name, kit colour and confirm team names etc....i then have a chat with the captains together....quick kit check and then its a warm up for me whilst the teams also warm up...once ive warmed up i ask if the home team are ready, get an agreed eta and let the away team know....once its time i double blast of the whistle to get the attention and as they say, rest is history lol
3)I've got 2 matches straight after each other the next week, with the same home team. Do I wait till the second match to collect it all? i personally would collect it as each match starts
4)How do you go about the managers paying you? before the match, sometimes i agree half before and half at the end
5)How do I find out what the times of the halves are? I've got no competition rules? i found it is generally 11-a-side under 16 is 35minutes each way and adult football is always 45minutes unless told otherwise

hope this helps

hi
Thanks very much. I'm a bit nervous but I'm looking forward to it :)
callum good to have you here you will be able to pick up a great deal of help from the quality that we have here it may be a bit long winded sometimes but it will always be good advice just remember we are refereeing family we all stick together through good and bad.

just remeber, you are there for enjoyment just as much as the players are...also, one thing i always tell myself when the abuse flows a litte...they wouldnt have a game to play if it wasnt for you

hi Callum, first of all good luck! i too was 14 when i took charge of my first match...was nervous as hell! although i still now at 23 get nervous!
ive tried to answer as much as i can for you, but im sure jojo will be of much better assistance

1)When do I check kit? are you talking about your own or the teams? lol if your own then i always check mine at the start of the week (gives me time to get anything i need) once mid way through, then double check the night before, and in the morning of the match - if you are talking about the teams i.e studs etc then i usually do this as per below...
2)Has anyone got a routine when they get to a match (talk to manager, talk to captains etc.) simple stuff, i put my kit bag down away from both teams (usually on the other side of the pitch, although i find in mens football, if its raining, one team will offer to put your bag under cover with their teams) i make myself known to the home team (the guy you organised the match with) have a quick general chat with him, sort out the money, again i like to do this prior to the match, i then go with him and introduce myself to the away team manager, as he does also - this is where i have a word with both of them about my expectations and rules etc - i then sort out a lino from each team and take details in my book i.e captain name, kit colour and confirm team names etc....i then have a chat with the captains together....quick kit check and then its a warm up for me whilst the teams also warm up...once ive warmed up i ask if the home team are ready, get an agreed eta and let the away team know....once its time i double blast of the whistle to get the attention and as they say, rest is history lol
3)I've got 2 matches straight after each other the next week, with the same home team. Do I wait till the second match to collect it all? i personally would collect it as each match starts
4)How do you go about the managers paying you? before the match, sometimes i agree half before and half at the end
5)How do I find out what the times of the halves are? I've got no competition rules? i found it is generally 11-a-side under 16 is 35minutes each way and adult football is always 45minutes unless told otherwise

hope this helps

Hi Callum

Charlie's done all the legwork on this one so i'll just add a couple of comments to what he's written

firstly, assume that all advice given on here is well meant, but don't automatically take it as gospel, even if it's coming from a level 3 ;)

approaches differ from country to country, county to county,r.a. to r.a., level to level and referee to referee. it's not a minefield, but it's an easy assumption to make.

e.g. the guy that you arranged the match with won't always be there, not every referee will talk to managers about their expectations or the rules, some refs will only speak to the captain's together at coin toss, , keep kit check as near to kick off as is reasonably possible. don't agree kick off time with the home team. if you're refereeing the same team back to back, collect all monies at the same time if possible, try not to over complicate things. competition rules, check the league's website for competition rules. if no joy, contact the referees secretary for the league and ask them where you can get hold of a list of rules - they sometimes send a booklet or, increasingly, email a pdf doc.

in sussex, u16 is 40 minutes each way - rules should tell you how flexible you can be with times for games, should the situation arise

just remember to enjoy the experience and to learn from your inevitable mistakes

Hi Callum

Charlie's done all the legwork on this one so i'll just add a couple of comments to what he's written

firstly, assume that all advice given on here is well meant, but don't automatically take it as gospel, even if it's coming from a level 3 ;)

approaches differ from country to country, county to county,r.a. to r.a., level to level and referee to referee. it's not a minefield, but it's an easy assumption to make.

e.g. the guy that you arranged the match with won't always be there, not every referee will talk to managers about their expectations or the rules, some refs will only speak to the captain's together at coin toss, , keep kit check as near to kick off as is reasonably possible. don't agree kick off time with the home team. if you're refereeing the same team back to back, collect all monies at the same time if possible, try not to over complicate things. competition rules, check the league's website for competition rules. if no joy, contact the referees secretary for the league and ask them where you can get hold of a list of rules - they sometimes send a booklet or, increasingly, email a pdf doc.

in sussex, u16 is 40 minutes each way - rules should tell you how flexible you can be with times for games, should the situation arise

just remember to enjoy the experience and to learn from your inevitable mistakes

your harsh even from a level 3 what about a poor old level 4, Thought so that's why I try not to give advice just my own word of wisdom ;)

Back