A&H

First Game With Neutral Assistants

Wolfy123

Hi guys,
I'll have my first middle with neutral assistants this weekend. Obviously I've done plenty of games on the line, but I was hoping to get some advice on how to get the best out of us as a team?
From prematch instructions all the way through the game.

The Referee Store
Transfer what you found useful from the ref talks you have endured.
it should be more a team chat than instructions, bear in mind to take input from your Ars
At park level?, your Ars will, as above, switch off if you ramble on about, if this happens, or am standing there, or, say the ball goes here, or, give me this odd signal if you mean this.
Short, sharp, simple.

You say you've done plenty of lines. When other refs have briefed you, what have you found good and what less so?
There will be things everyone does. Do you need to rehash these? Or can you just say "I do these things as everyone else. Here's what I do differently"
A lot of this will depend upon the level / experience of your ARs. If they are experienced then you really won't need to tell them much. If less so then you will need to give them more help.
As Anubis says, take input from your ARs - ask for questions. One referee I worked with had his instructions printed out and gave them to us before the game. A select group AR I worked with a lot would go through the same spiel every time, down to "if there's a penalty and you want it retaken stand your ground with your flag in both hands in front of your legs and waggle it a bit when I look at you!"

Less is definitely more, especially in the early days. Once you get to the lofty heights assistants will expect more, but until then keep it brief

Do you know your assistants?

First thing I'll do is figure out if I know them or not or know someone who does. That way you can get a feel for who they are and what they are like before game day. I've had anything from someone who is doing their very first line through to a guy who was reffing and lining at a high standard when I was still in nappies. That's a good starting point.

Thanks all!
Does anyone have any recommendations on how best to work as a team in the middle? Any common pitfalls to try to avoid?

I'll offer a few.

Eye contact: be in the habit of making eye contact with each AR at each stop to check in--and talk about that in the pregame. Once you're in the habit it is easy to do--look forward to lead AR, and then back over shoulder to check with trail AR.

Talk in advance about when AR should immediately signal direction. I ask my ARs to signal immediately on their end of the touchline and the GL near them, but to give me first shot at the far touch/goal lines--but with a subtle signal withe flag below the waist on what they think it is.

Discuss what you want them for on fouls so you are all on the same page. I want my ARs to pay attention to what I am calling (and not calling) so they aren't flagging things I would never call. I expect them to go ahead and flag if close to them, but if I seem to have a good view pause to make sure I am not calling "no foul." And I tell them if I look directly at them after a possible foul, I'm asking for help and they should flag it if they have a foul.

Act like a team. Walk out together. Talk to one another--"Thanks John!" with a thumbs up after a foul.

I'm not sure what the view there is on unofficial signals. Around here it is common for the ARs to give subtle signals to the R when making eye contact. An open hand says all is OK. A fist says "think about tightening up the game." And some use a tap of the hip to say "you need to be closer to play."

I forgot something important

Touch base with them, if you have not already done so

" hi guys, looking forward to the game on Saturday, am aimimg to be there 1pm, look forward to seeing you then, any issues give me a shout"

Bring snacks and buy the first round post-match.

Well, that was how it was some ten-fifteen years ago, I notice the new generation don't do this anymore. :(

I was tempted to post, have them meet you at yoir car so they can carry your kit back to the changing room and do the walkies on the pitch with them always either side of you so,its clear you are superior......but I never !

Bring snacks and buy the first round post-match.

Well, that was how it was some ten-fifteen years ago, I notice the new generation don't do this anymore. :(
I’d always take a bag of wine gums (don’t like jelly babies) even as “junior” assistant. Current lot probably just TikTok each other’s Huel or whatever the hell anyone under 25 does. 👴🏻

Back