A&H

first game reffing 15yr old ref

Joel Harris

Level 9 Referee
Hi all been reading through this site for a couple days after finishing my days of training and need to get a couple of games under my belt and was just wondering if theres any unique tips out there that yous are willing to share.Also as im very young is there anything i should look out for and what do i say to the skippers and linesmen before the game thanks

The Referee Store
Hi Joel, there's a wealth of information on this site across all matters so read as mush as you can and absorb a much as you can.
Are your assigned matches also underage fixtures? if so, the refereeing is as much about managing two groups of children as it is about enforcing the laws of the game.
Is there a chance to shadow a more experienced ref beforehand? It would help a lot to see how others do it and gets tips from them.
Be confident, you'lll probably learn more in the first match than you would on a week of refereeing course.
Good luck.

I think in 500-600 games I've had linos 4-5 times.... This little bugger gets them on his virgin game... whats happening!!! ;)

Keep cool, look confident, don't overdo the talking before or during....that will come with time and experience... Its not the Premiership and you and all concerned will make mistakes... Learn from them..... and enjoy it!!

Back