A&H

First game done and dusted.

andy83

First time posting on here. Finally got to ref my first game today after running the line yesterday. Was so keen to get the game started that I completely forgot the kit check and the respect handshake. Absolutely appalling start to the career! After two minutes I gave a blatant goal kick as a corner but then decided to stand by my decision so as to not lose face...

I think the experience improved as I got settled; gave out a few cautions for persistent fouling and dissent. There was an incident in the first half that I wanted some advice on: the ball had been cleared by the left-back after the attacker had tangled with him in what looked like a case of tripping over each other's feet; as I turned away to watch the flight of the ball, there was a big shout of REF and I turn round and the attacker has mud on his thigh and is claiming that the defender stamped on him. It looked suspicious, but what can you do in that situation? Some of the boys were pretty large and so other players were bouncing off them and claiming a foul every time. I think I should've given more free kicks, but I was just keen to let the game flow at times. I definitely should've booked the player who claimed they were being 'cheated by officials again' after I awarded a penalty to the opposition. I'll live and learn from it, and I did enjoy it, mostly!

The Referee Store
Having your first game is like having your first kiss. Sometimes there are a lot about it you would want to forget. But you can look back at it as a sweet experience :)

First time posting on here. Finally got to ref my first game today after running the line yesterday. Was so keen to get the game started that I completely forgot the kit check and the respect handshake. Absolutely appalling start to the career! After two minutes I gave a blatant goal kick as a corner but then decided to stand by my decision so as to not lose face...

I think the experience improved as I got settled; gave out a few cautions for persistent fouling and dissent. There was an incident in the first half that I wanted some advice on: the ball had been cleared by the left-back after the attacker had tangled with him in what looked like a case of tripping over each other's feet; as I turned away to watch the flight of the ball, there was a big shout of REF and I turn round and the attacker has mud on his thigh and is claiming that the defender stamped on him. It looked suspicious, but what can you do in that situation? Some of the boys were pretty large and so other players were bouncing off them and claiming a foul every time. I think I should've given more free kicks, but I was just keen to let the game flow at times. I definitely should've booked the player who claimed they were being 'cheated by officials again' after I awarded a penalty to the opposition. I'll live and learn from it, and I did enjoy it, mostly!
Well done!

Don’t worry about the losing face. Try and take your time. But, if 22 players are moving like it’s a goal kick as you signal corner, just reverse and apologise. In the end, if you pay out 100 quid for every mistake and take just one pound for each player mistake, you’ll end up on top;)

With the late stuff. Players watch the ball in flight. We don’t. We watch the players. When you turn and run you use the ”trailing eye” to keep looking back for late tackles. And when the ball is in the air you watch the players (and get side on if you can) as they ready for the drop.

Your never going to see everything so dont go out there expecting too

Missing one late tackle and giving a dodgy corner is good going

The fact you mentioned, enjoy, is pleasing to read cos afterall thats the whole idea

Back