A&H

First game back

YorkieRef

So... After having the last couple of months out with injury I finally got back into the middle last night. Was a fairly decent game to be honest from both my perspective and from the players. The score ended up Green 2-0 Yellow.

I did make a decision that I thought I could have done better on though in the second half. About 15 minutes left on the clock, score 1-0 and green have a corner. Ball comes in, easily caught by the keeper and he quickly boots it up field. I'm on my bike sprinting but can't keep up with the ball, by the time I make it into the green half just past the centre circle when the yellow attacker (who by now has the ball in the box) goes down with green defender next to him. Screams for a penalty but from where I was I couldn't see it so didn't give it. On reflection I'm about 60% sure I got it wrong. Green defender was not the best and I don't find it hard to believe he made a clumsy tackle and fouled the yellow attacker. Furthermore the attacker was quite good and would probably have not gone down as he could have probably got a shot away. Like I said I couldn't see from my position so didn't give it. Yellow were obviously not happy and I had an earful, but allowed me to give an easy caution for dissent.

Fast forward a bit and with 2 minutes left on the clock yellow are pushing to get back into the game (definitely the better team in the last 10 minutes). The yellow winger has the ball at his feet with his back to goal just inside the PA, green defender stupidly swings his leg and makes contact, definite penalty, no complaints. Yellow striker steps up and blasts it straight at the keeper who makes a really good double save.

2 minutes later the full time whistle goes and I get probably the most handshakes I've ever had after a game, interesting - was definitely expecting a few more complaints from yellow.

Ah well, onto the next one - cup quarter final on Saturday.

Reactions: one
The Referee Store
... but from where I was I couldn't see it so didn't give it. .. I'm about 60% sure I got it wrong... hard to believe... would probably...he could have probabl... I couldn't see from my position
Me thinks you did good not awarding a pen given so much doubt. By your own admission you had 40% doubt . Sometimes it not physically possible to get close to play.

Back