A&H

Open Age First game back in 8 years!

Wolf_Ref

RefChat Addict
Level 3W Referee
Had my first game in the middle today since 2012. Really good fun and some quality football.

Home team - blue
Away team - red

Home team were 2 goals up in 10 minutes they really caught reds napping. 12th minute, Away team get one back and then at 20 mins their keeper takes a goal kick and scores (assist from the wind/poor keeping!).

Blue skipper gets a YC for a foul tackle which broke up a promising attack and also the temperature was getting a little high so gave an opportunity to calm the situation down.

2-2 at half time. Second half - 5 mins in, red player skins the blue player in the box and gets carelessly taken out - easy pen - no complaints. Penalty scored 2-3

Then the game got a bit scrappy with all decisions being questioned and lots of waiting for balls to be collected (all time added on). I gave a FK to red GK for a foul and resulted in a blue player losing his cool and resulting in a YC for dissent (sin bin) in the 87th minute. Blues thought that Reds were getting everything - which wasn't true, I would say cumulative fouls were pretty even.

On the whole, I think I did ok, however there are some things that I think I could have done better with:
  • More accuracy with ball out of play - I am positive that I got a few wrong today
  • Stop getting my directions mixed up when signaling for throws - my word - I just got the hang of them then half time came!!
  • Positioning was ok on the whole, but I need to be more fluid and creative with positioning at corner kicks - which I think I did better towards the end. Think over time I will be able to read the game better and position myself more strategically.
Things I did well with (I think)
  • Had a good rapport with players (speaking to one of the Blues to have a word with their #7 in about the 75th minute as he was getting a bit irate)
  • I communicated well verbally and with hand signals (bar the occasional brain fart with throws)
  • My whistling was clear
  • I managed to keep up with play - at times found that my general pace was a little slow, but I am sure that that will improve with time.

On the whole, I had a great time and got the best view in the pitch of some great goals. It was a competitive and hard-fought match!

The Referee Store
Well done and welcome back.

How long were you a ref for in your first go?

What's the plan on improving on the things you think you have to do better with?

Well done on your comeback, looks like a decent game to start with and plenty of incidents.
With regards your signaling for throws, I shout out which colour team I believe it came off nice and loud, I find it gives me an extra fews seconds to signal with my arm but I've already told the players how I've seen it......

Well done and welcome back.

How long were you a ref for in your first go?

What's the plan on improving on the things you think you have to do better with?
Did two full seasons. Ended up moving for training for work then moved again for a new job etc.

I think I will do a few more games and then ask if the RA can appoint me a mentor to help me develop. But I also have some friends who will watch to support and give me feedback too.

Still Can’t believe I had to give that player a SB/YC... I made the warning so clear!

Back