A&H

first game as a neutral assistant

Ryan

THE REF
Level 7 Referee
Hi guys, i am doing my first game as a neutral this Saturday, could you run me through things that happens please and any advice it is an Norwich girls u15 center of excellence match

The Referee Store
Reread the magic booklet law 6 and brush up on technicalities of offside, throw ins, goal kicks etc even though you probably don't need to! The book has tips on positioning for assistants that you won't have paid that much attention to when regularly in the middle. Practice your flagging in the mirror to make sure you are happy and confident with it before setting foot on the pitch!

The ref will deliver a prematch talk letting you know what he expects of you and your responsibilities. If your not clear, ask questions to clarify. The ref will have been in your position once upon a time. Remember your part of a team, look after each other on the pitch, nice big smile on your face and enjoy the match!

I have my first line of the season this coming weekend in a cup tie. Prefer to be in the middle but it great working with a more experienced ref.

i am sure some better advice than what i have provided will be coming shortly...

Referee should contact you before the game. Main thing is to listen to the pre match talk. If there's anything you're not sure about, don't be afraid to ask. We were all in your position once.

Back