A&H

First Assessment - Very Pleased

Justylove

RefChat Addict
Had my first assessment for 7-6 recently. Very pleased with how it turned out.

Attachments

• Assessment 1 anon.pdf
    919.8 KB · Views: 97
The Referee Store
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but I fail to see how the assessor cannot offer you more development points. Long term this offers you nothing except getting you through this promotion which is fine but I have recently assessed a 5/4 candidate who has had 2 promotions on assessments like this - he was shocked when he has been offered multiple development points and told he is wrong in some areas
(And marked accordingly - effectively his promotion chance is over after 1 assessment) and a lot of it is because for 2 years he hasn't been guided in the right direction

2 things stand out for me......
1. I cannot believe someone has handwritten the assessment on the new, designed to be used electronically, form!
2. Cannot see anything in there that justifies an "Above Standard" rating. That would imply that you are operating at a level 5 standard......."Standard Expected" would indicate you were operating at a level 6 standard......

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but I fail to see how the assessor cannot offer you more development points. Long term this offers you nothing except getting you through this promotion which is fine but I have recently assessed a 5/4 candidate who has had 2 promotions on assessments like this - he was shocked when he has been offered multiple development points and told he is wrong in some areas
(And marked accordingly - effectively his promotion chance is over after 1 assessment) and a lot of it is because for 2 years he hasn't been guided in the right direction

To be honest, since the promotion Level is only 7-6 (and bearing in mind that they're planning to do away with that Level next year anyway :rolleyes: ) I don't see that it makes a hell of a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things. Getting from level 7-6 is generally only about correct AOL and having decent match control where required. The guy can only referee what's in front of him. You can't compare the requirements of a Level 7-6 to a 5-4 candidate. They're nowhere near the same thing. Anyway, like I said, he'll be a Level 5 in a couple of seasons irrespective of however he develops or get's promoted now. :)

1. I cannot believe someone has handwritten the assessment on the new, designed to be used electronically, form!

Probably some old geriatric (they're still out there) who "doesn't do computers". :D

To be honest, since the promotion Level is only 7-6 (and bearing in mind that they're planning to do away with that Level next year anyway :rolleyes: ) I don't see that it makes a hell of a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things. Getting from level 7-6 is generally only about correct AOL and having decent match control where required. The guy can only referee what's in front of him. You can't compare the requirements of a Level 7-6 to a 5-4 candidate. They're nowhere near the same thing. Anyway, like I said, he'll be a Level 5 in a couple of seasons irrespective of however he develops or get's promoted now. :)

Probably some old geriatric (they're still out there) who "doesn't do computers". :D

The..red...hurts..my......EEEEYYYYYEEEEESSSS!! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

1) Its a 7-6 assessment, which is the first step for me on what will hopefully be a successful career

2) The guidance document on assessments has 7-6 assessment with 3 focus areas with 12 bullet points. 6-5 has 6 areas with 31 bullet points. I've not even looked at the 5-4 as that is miles off for me at the moment. I would fully expect as the bar gets raised as I progress that I will get more development points. Maybe its because I came to refereeing later than some people, but i'm not blasé or naive enough to think that because I got one 7-6 assessment that was good then I don't have any faults in my game that I need to correct. Personally even though i'm only doing 7-6 i'm actually using the 6-5 criteria as my benchmark as I want to ensure I'm embracing best practice. I hope that doing that, coupled with having taken a couple of seasons to "learn my craft" plus getting on a supply league AR panel this past season has helped me to build a solid foundation for my career.

3) The comments from you and @Padfoot indicates one of my frustrations around the inconsistency with assessors. In the document we have been given the mark "above standard" as being "Demonstrates a level of performance that is above the standard at which they are currently refereeing." Therefore above standard = Level 6, not Level 5 as you said if the County FA document is applied correctly.

4) The assessor I had is only qualified to do 7-6 assessments, no higher. Whilst I would like to have development points relating to the competencies at higher levels, you could argue that having those incorporated in from someone who isn't qualified to do so could be counter productive to a referees development longer term. The other alternative is to only let people assess at one level below that which they are qualified (i.e. you have to have completed the 6-5 assessors course to be able to deliver 7-6 assessments) so you can give a "further out view"

5) There are not enough assessors to go round. The fact that this one doesn't use a computer and handwrites is for me neither here nor there. If there were a surplus of assessors then maybe the CFA could mandate it be done electronically, reality is if its a choice between having someone handwrite an assessment or candidates not getting assessed, which is the lesser of the 2 evils?

Point 3. That was the original guidance when the new assessment system came in. However for this marking season, 'Standard expected' refers to the level for which you are applying, in your case 6. 'Below standard' would mean you are operating at your current level.

Some CFAs have added this distinction to their assessment forms so that candidates are aware.

Point 3. That was the original guidance when the new assessment system came in. However for this marking season, 'Standard expected' refers to the level for which you are applying, in your case 6. 'Below standard' would mean you are operating at your current level.

Some CFAs have added this distinction to their assessment forms so that candidates are aware.

If i've got an assessor only trained to deliver 7-6 assessments, then this means that I can only ever get a standard expected then, because the assessor is not qualified to make a decision on whether my performance is sufficient for level 5?

Why didn't they simply have 3 categories - Clear Fail, Marginal Pass and Clear Pass.

Ultimately I'm not getting too hung up on whether this assessment means that i'd be able to operate at level 6 or level 5, as i'm only going for 6. When I go to 5, then i'll find out whether I'm well enough prepared for that through the assessments i'm sure.

Guys, why p!ss on @Justylove's chips? He was pretty happy and then all the above happened? :rolleyes:

Welcome back mate. Not seen you around these parts for a little while, where you been?

Guys, why p!ss on @Justylove's chips? He was pretty happy and then all the above happened? :rolleyes:

Welcome back mate. Not seen you around these parts for a little while, where you been?

Thanks - SM - its good to be back!

Balancing work, family and football has been crazy the past few months so not too much time for forums.

Football wise its been a productive season. First year as AR on a supply league, working with L4's has been great and my game has improved significantly because of it. I've had 3 cup finals this year (2 lines and 1 middle), plus had title deciding games in 2 different leagues, so must be doing something right.

Season finished last night for me with one of the cup finals, been carrying a few niggles the past month, so looking forward to a little bit of R&R, then making sure i'm ready for Pre-Season!

Reactions: SM
Can a mod please close this thread. Was hoping for a sensible discussion on my OP, however it seems to have gone off-track quite quickly.

Back