A&H

First assessment 5-4

Matt

Level 5 Referee
Hi all,

What does everyone think of this?

Very pleased with the write up and a good chat after the game should aid my development. It was a current Football league assessor who came down to watch the match!

Attachments

• Matthew 2.doc
    357.9 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
The Referee Store
Hi all,

What does everyone think of this?

Very pleased with the write up and a good chat after the game should aid my development. It was a current Football league assessor who came down to watch the match!
Hmmm ... doesn't really give you much to work on nor tell you what you did well. Have you seen a list of the competencies you are supposed to referee to at Level 4? If you have and compare this report to them, you will see little correlation between the two. It's worrying that he spent so much time talking about the playing of advantage in the Match Control section

Hi Matt,

Did you get to see your Mark?

I personally would have thought from how it was written application of law would of been a strenght and match control a development point.

Club assistants for 5-4? Is that usual in your county?

Good luck and work hard.

I can't say the assessor has helped you much it isn't the best hopefully he gave you a bit of coaching to go with the written assessment?

Hi both,

I agree with you Brian, the match control section was the part I was least impressed with. The other sections reflect the post-match discussion except for that one. Part of the discussion revolved around keeping control of the game when temperature increased. After he game he said all development related to use of advantage. I've read through the competencies a few times and the vast majority were mentioned in the discussion after the game.

Mark came through as a 75. In that league only the premier division (level 11) has neutral assistants.

Reading it back I suppose the report itself isn't great but the discussion after the game will help my development.

That's a great Mark for that assessment. It reads lower to me.

I think you need to average 73 from 5 assessments?

Good luck you will be fine.
Good start, just take on his or her advice

Hi both,

I agree with you Brian, the match control section was the part I was least impressed with. The other sections reflect the post-match discussion except for that one. Part of the discussion revolved around keeping control of the game when temperature increased. After he game he said all development related to use of advantage. I've read through the competencies a few times and the vast majority were mentioned in the discussion after the game.

Mark came through as a 75. In that league only the premier division (level 11) has neutral assistants.

Reading it back I suppose the report itself isn't great but the discussion after the game will help my development.
If the mark is 75, then don't worry about the words if it gets you promotion. Be aware however that if you make it to L4, the comments are more important than the mark and you need to avoid recurring development points.

Sorry for slow reply, been out of the country.

I was a little surprised at the mark, was anticipating it to be a couple lower. I was pleased that the development areas I had at 7-6 and 6-5, mainly positioning and communication, were praised post-match and that the development area is one that I can easily put into practice and develop.

Hmmm ... doesn't really give you much to work on nor tell you what you did well. Have you seen a list of the competencies you are supposed to referee to at Level 4? If you have and compare this report to them, you will see little correlation between the two. It's worrying that he spent so much time talking about the playing of advantage in the Match Control section
I agree with Brian, little for you to work on.

For a 5-4 promotion, there are normally lots of things to write about either as a strength or a development point. Very little in terms of examples where advantage was played poorly in his eyes.

Mark aligns with positive nature of the assessment, but be aware you could get a better assessment and a lower mark. A FL assessor may slightly mark differently to a Supply League assessor who watches this standard of football more often.

I've been critical of the assessments provided to other referees when they are progressing through the ranks. I have attached an assessment I prepared earlier this season for a 6-5 candidate. You will notice there's a significant difference between the level of detail and when I identify an issue, I provide a solution to help develop the referee. "dons hard hat"

Attachments

• 6-5 promotion.pdf
    277.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I've been critical of the assessments provided to other referees when they are progressing through the ranks. I have attached an assessment I prepared earlier this season for a 6-5 candidate. You will notice there's a significant difference between the level of detail and when I identify an issue, I provide a solution to help develop the referee. "dons hard hat"
Unsurprisingly, Brian's assessment is thorough and clearly benefits the referee who's been assessed.
Unfortunately, there are a number of assessors around who aren't as good, aren't as thorough and, worryingly, don't care as much as Brian!

Back