A&H

First Academy game

I done U10s tournament recently and the difference (for the better) is quite astonishing, even the coaches dont really celebrate goals as it wasn't that important to them its all about development.

Parents, you wouldn't know they were there, its also a bit easier as they keep the ball so much better so you're not backwards and forwards after misplaced passes.

Im at Liverpool academy today for U12s fixture.

The Referee Store
I done U10s tournament recently and the difference (for the better) is quite astonishing, even the coaches dont really celebrate goals as it wasn't that important to them its all about development.

Parents, you wouldn't know they were there, its also a bit easier as they keep the ball so much better so you're not backwards and forwards after misplaced passes.

Im at Liverpool academy today for U12s fixture.
Good luck! Mine’s today at 12. Really looking forward to it, although a little nervous

Dont be, nothing changes only for the better.

Do have a word with someone from the club though, i know we have LAWS but it is about development, if you get DOGSO first minute is the keeper going off ?

Do have a word with someone from the club though, i know we have LAWS but it is about development, if you get DOGSO first minute is the keeper going off ?
Do you think I if I there is a red or yellow card offence I should ask the manager to bring the player off instead?

100%

You are appointed as a referee not a football development officer

The lotg book tells you what can be modified for certain levels

Edit, assumimg this is 11 a side.

Last edited:
That was definitely the highlight of my (short) refereeing career so far. Two quality sides who were extremely respectful and both sets of officials who were very helpful and friendly too. Some of the football was unbelievable from 11-13 years olds (they had some U12 players) and at some points I was genuinely amazed. Overall, a brilliant experience and hope I can get another opportunity to ref the academies

I done Liverpool v Luton on Saturday, had a word with both coaches together before hand and they both said players dont really get sent off in these games, to be honest there wasnt a tackle or slightest bit of dissent in the 80 minutes play.

Totally different to any junior youth league i imagine around the country.

A few parents there but didnt hear a peep from them only encouragement to their boys, coaches letting the kids play and doing their talking in the break in between quarters.

By the way Luton were very very good.

I done Liverpool v Luton on Saturday, had a word with both coaches together before hand and they both said players dont really get sent off in these games, to be honest there wasnt a tackle or slightest bit of dissent in the 80 minutes play.

Totally different to any junior youth league i imagine around the country.

A few parents there but didnt hear a peep from them only encouragement to their boys, coaches letting the kids play and doing their talking in the break in between quarters.

By the way Luton were very very good.
Pretty much sounds identical to mine. Couldn’t help but smile when I gave a freekick because the attacker had his hands all over the defender’s back. He didn’t agree and turned around and said ‘what?’ with his arms out. I told him what it was for and he just politely said ‘Oh, okay’ and carried on. Don’t think that’s ever happened to me before😂.

Honestly, both teams were so impressive. Played incredible one touch passing and moving, some of the best bits of skill I’ve ever seen on a football pitch (including adult pros). Everyone was so friendly and I got to witness amazing football and use top class facilities. I was impressed with the Premier League football they used (I’m a bit of a ‘nerd’ about things like that). What were the facilities like at your game?

Attachments

• BABCD9D0-08D0-42D7-93F5-3628E0C3804D.jpeg
    BABCD9D0-08D0-42D7-93F5-3628E0C3804D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
  • E240BB89-D637-49AB-B526-85B442C06514.jpeg
    E240BB89-D637-49AB-B526-85B442C06514.jpeg
    659.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 57241DD0-2318-407B-B823-B4C4F9ADD6D1.jpeg
    57241DD0-2318-407B-B823-B4C4F9ADD6D1.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 18
The Liverpool academy is fantastic as i imagine all the PL ones are these days.

Eve Championship and lower have some amazing facilities, there must have been 6/7 different clubs there at different age groups, its handy as its only 3 miles from where i live as well.

The Liverpool academy is fantastic as i imagine all the PL ones are these days.

Eve Championship and lower have some amazing facilities, there must have been 6/7 different clubs there at different age groups, its handy as its only 3 miles from where i live as well.
My closest team is Norwich and that’s a bit of a drive away but well worth it. I remember playing on the 3G pitch outside Portman Road when I played for one of Ipswich’s youth teams and they had good facilities too tbf

I did a public schools game once. One of the lads committed a reckless sliding tackle. He got up, knew the card was coming and said to me "I'm terribly sorry, sir, that was a poor tackle and I totally understand why you are booking me"

At the end of the game he came over and apologized to me for putting me in the situation where I needed to book him 😀

I did a public schools game once. One of the lads committed a reckless sliding tackle. He got up, knew the card was coming and said to me "I'm terribly sorry, sir, that was a poor tackle and I totally understand why you are booking me"

At the end of the game he came over and apologized to me for putting me in the situation where I needed to book him 😀
Makes a change. Isn't it usually 'Bloody hell not you again!'?

My closest team is Norwich and that’s a bit of a drive away but well worth it. I remember playing on the 3G pitch outside Portman Road when I played for one of Ipswich’s youth teams and they had good facilities too tbf

I was about to ask... are you Norfolk FA too?

I am! I do more games in Suffolk though as they tend to be closer than my appointments in Norfolk

Nice one! Good to know there's some more of us on here! The southern end of the county is a bit awkward (I know a couple of refs in Lowestoft - they basically do all their games in Norfolk as its easier) but I really like the Norfolk set up. It's been very supportive so far.

Nice one! Good to know there's some more of us on here! The southern end of the county is a bit awkward (I know a couple of refs in Lowestoft - they basically do all their games in Norfolk as its easier) but I really like the Norfolk set up. It's been very supportive so far.
Yeah, definitely. I do wish I was a bit more involved but that’s literally just because I can’t accept all their appointments. Suffolk is really good too and both hold good development events, which is all we can really ask for

I have done and will do plenty of games at a well known public school near me. Behaviour (teachers/coaches/players) and facilities are excellent.

Yeah, definitely. I do wish I was a bit more involved but that’s literally just because I can’t accept all their appointments. Suffolk is really good too and both hold good development events, which is all we can really ask for

So, have you to done! -

This is a thread about Academy football, not a TINDER for referees in East Anglia:p

Back