A&H

Finland Italy handball

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Let's find the footage... looks like a poor decision and a penalty only given because the ref just gave a soft one at the other end!

The Referee Store
I hate the new law, but those both fall under the criteria according to the new law. The referees, at least, are correct in their application.

If a defender handles the ball, even inadvertently, and he or his team gain possession as a result, it is to be penalized as a handball.

I disagree with both decisions, the Finland one is ridiculous, I don't see what he's supposed to do? Chop his arm off?

De ligt one is amusing and ridiculously harsh.

If a defender handles the ball, even inadvertently, and he or his team gain possession as a result, it is to be penalized as a handball.

No, you've got yourself into a right mess there. That applies to attacking players only, and only if the accidental handling leads to a goal scoring opportunity.

Aside from attacking players and accidental handling, there is still a requirement for it to be intentional, albeit with more guidelines about what constitutes natural arm position. I really can't see how either of these were intentional handling.

For Fox Sake, another two examples of crappy law writing and application.... Who hires these clowns???

I actually think the new law wording makes it fairly clear that this should not (usually) be an offence. The ball has deflected off an opponent who was close and the player's arm has not made their body unnaturally bigger, in my opinion. As far as I'm concerned this is just a bad decision by the referee, whether under the old or the new laws. The primary consideration is still that the player "deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm" - unless one of the other considerations applies which as I've said, they don't here for me.

No, you've got yourself into a right mess there. That applies to attacking players only, and only if the accidental handling leads to a goal scoring opportunity.

Aside from attacking players and accidental handling, there is still a requirement for it to be intentional, albeit with more guidelines about what constitutes natural arm position. I really can't see how either of these were intentional handling.

Thanks for the clarification. In Canada, we don't use the new LOTG until next season so I have yet to learn the new law. Going on what I have been told, which is always dangerous.

Thanks for the clarification. In Canada, we don't use the new LOTG until next season so I have yet to learn the new law. Going on what I have been told, which is always dangerous.
In Finland (contextual link) we also won’t start with the new laws until 2020. My countryfolk are a stoic bunch - also fully used to NOT qualifying for tournaments - but I’ll be gutted if it comes down to a point!

IMHO I think the offence could be justified. You could say the player did make himself bigger by having his arm in front of him when turning to the side. BUT that would be very very generous. The LotG as said above are pretty clearly saying this isn’t an offence. Common sense also suggests the ball would have hit his body... but anyway, plenty of time to brush up on the new LotG. ;)

The Italian penalty is a shocker, in no way as the defender made himself bigger or even moved his arms or hand out, they're tucked into him.

The Dutch one i can understand a bit more so but still a very very harsh penalty.

You could say the player did make himself bigger by having his arm in front of him when turning to the side.
And if the law said it was usually an offence if the player makes himself bigger in any way, then you might have a point. But it doesn't say that, it only says that it's usually an offence if the player makes themselves unnaturally bigger. I don't think there's any way you can say that the player's arm here has made his body unnaturally bigger. There's also the point that the player hasn't deliberately touched the ball with his hand/arm and furthermore, that the ball had deflected off a nearby opponent.

All in all, that's just not a handball offence for me.

Last edited:
Are the ref;s being hold to give crap like this?
Cos I don't suddenly believe all these top refs have suddenly gone insane

I’m retired but I wouldn’t be giving these regardless of any stupid edict. It just isn’t handball, never has been, never should be. Who makes this crap up??

Back