A&H

Finally gave a yellow card

Dave Mac

Under 17's game, striker through on goal brought down by the defender, a pen and gave a yellow. Was quite happy as it went without any real incident, defender on the floor said he didnt touch him, but I just said "sorry fella I've given the penalty, you're going to have to go in the book as well" he gave me his name, even the spelling. I was pretty nervous getting it out. The attacking team blasted the penalty at the keeper, and amazingly spooned the open goal rebound over the bar too.

Was an absolute brilliant game to referee, some really good football played and some real characters out there. Had a good laugh with the lads and was really out there with a smile on my face for the whole 90 minutes. My book must have bounced out my pocket at one point and one of the players gave it back to me and said he'd just rubbed out his mates name who I'd booked and chalked them up a couple of goals!

WIthout doubt in my early refereeing career it was the most enjoyable game I've taken charge of.

The Referee Store
Im glad I read this! You've just reminded me I have a Caution to send in from yesterdays game :p

All in all, you're first yellow is always the hardest, but most of the time they know its coming! As long as you're enjoying it is the main thing :)

I think now I've done the first others will come easier. I think I've been probably a bit easy in the past and now least I wont have the pressure hanging over me that i might be giving a harsh yellow as my first.

Without doubt the most enjoyable game I've done thus far. I made a few calls that might have been wrong, I gave a goal kick when I think it should have been a throw, silly things like that. But the players made it such an enjoyable game i actually wished it could have carried on a bit longer as it was so much fun.

Yeah everyone makes small mistakes, as long as you take note of them yourself and work on it, there shouldn't be too greater problems!

Congrats on your first caution :p

Yes the management of cautions will become easier, just don't make yourself the 'card-happy-ref' :)

no chance Lewsy, coming home and having to fill out the report was a right pain! I wanted to just watch the spurs game!

Hi Dave,

If he was through on goal, was there any reason in particular that you didn't feel it was DOGSO and therefore a sending off offence?

Bet you've given a few more since writing this?

Back