A&H

False name

Wooders007

Level 6 Referee
Had a really strange incident on Sunday 11th April 2021. I was doing a men’s Sunday league game, no team sheets are required by league, I decided to sin bin a player and he gave me a plausible name. He was off for 10 minutes before returning to the game. with 25 minutes remaining left he was substituted. The player that entered the field of play in his place I noticed was being called the same name as the one I had previously put in the sin bin. I asked the captain for the name of the person who had just come on, and it was the same as the one who had been sent to sin bin. I approached the player who gave me the false name on the touchline and asked him again for his name. He then gave me his correct name, I am not sure if this is right but I issued him with a red card for misconduct. Any other views or advice would be really appreciated.

The Referee Store
That is the problem it does not seem to fit into any particular red card offence on the fa system, so I am confused and put it down as misconduct and filed a report using the usual fa form.

I don't think it's a red card offence, I don't think it's a yellow card offence either. The best I think you can do is report it to the league/FA separately.

If I encountered this in a game I'd simply have asked the player to reconfirm his name and go from there. If he changed it, happy days, if he didn't, report the sin bin in whole game as normal and also include a separate report to the league.

Very surprised to hear that a league doesn't mandate team sheets.

I'm terms of the situation you describe, I'd have noted down the second name he gave and filled out a misconduct report on the WGS detailing that he tried to give me another name previously and explaining the circumstances around it.

On the whole, it seems more of an admin issue than anything else so I wouldn't have sent him off for it but I guess one could perhaps argue that it's a form of dissent to have given you a different name. Personally though, I'd have just left it at that and not taken any further action.

Also, for future reference, if a player gives you what you believe to be a false name, then I wouldn't even bother questioning it. Note it down, put the card in as you usually would and you've done your job. Leave the rest to the County FA to sort out.

Thank you for getting back to me. I have sent in the offence for sin bin under the correct name, I have also completed the misconduct report and submitted to fa. the thing I did wrong was show him a red card, thank you for your help, I am always learning and will know not to show a card next time.

the thing I did wrong was show him a red card, thank you for your help, I am always learning and will know not to show a card next time.

Just for info, there would have been nothing wrong with you showing a yellow for USB. Just not red. ;) :)

Reactions: one
Sound like he's done this before and deserves the red card but yes the most you can do is a yellow card for unspecified USB.

He'd probably think twice next time wanting to give a team mate's name.

I don't think it's a red card offence, I don't think it's a yellow card offence either. The best I think you can do is report it to the league/FA separately.

If I encountered this in a game I'd simply have asked the player to reconfirm his name and go from there. If he changed it, happy days, if he didn't, report the sin bin in whole game as normal and also include a separate report to the league.
You could argue that giving a false name is a form of dissent in itself but by the time you’ve found out, it’s a bit late.

Back