The Ref Stop

FA Cup Semi Final

hoofhearted

I was surprised watching the fa cup semi final today,Brighton v Man Utd that both keepers were wearing Full yellow kits!
Anyone else notice this?

The Ref Stop
I was surprised watching the fa cup semi final today,Brighton v Man Utd that both keepers were wearing Full yellow kits!
Anyone else notice this?
This is not against the laws of the games, though not ideal. Kit colours are pre-approved by footballing bodies in these games prior to the games.

Penalties dealt with well (until they weren't).
MU keeper and previous penalty taker both getting involved where they have absolutely no business:

I have no interest in either team, and realise that it isn't anything new, but it feels like there should real efforts to prevent this, and realistically the most effective way would not be 'proactive refereeing', but a genuinely significant sanction for this in LOTG, as it is clearly a completely unnecessary and deliberate unsporting act designed to unsettle the next penalty-taker.

No idea whether it worked on this occasion - maybe the Brighton player would have missed anyway, but it isn't a good look for the game (though sadly I suspect that it is the look that the powers-that-be actually want).

Either way, at the moment even the harshest sanction realistically available to the referee (YC) is rarely issued, and when it is it has so little impact that the risk is always worth taking for the offender.

How about instead we have 1-goal added to opponent's score if you deliberately touch the ball again after taking the penalty (easy to judge, no way anyone will offend ever again). Surely the problem simply disappears overnight.
Same sanction if either keeper goes beyond the edge of the goal area at any time, or does anything other than pass the ball to the referee / assistant.
So easy to eradicate, but I don't hold out much hope. 🙄

This is not against the laws of the games, though not ideal.
Well, sort of. The Law actually says if they are the same and neither has an alternative, the R should let the match progress. Not quite the same as the Law says it’s OK. But that said, the odds of it ever being an issue that matters are awfully minuscule.

There wasn't really an alternative though. Brighton's change shirt is black so clashes with referees (and the FA like referees in black for FA Cup games) and Man Utd's is blue so would have clashed with Brighton. Even with the officials changing that isn't that easy, obviously they can't wear yellow, orange and purple too close to red, and I know they now also assess kit colours to make it as east as possible for colour blind spectators.

Back