A&H

Fa cup final referee

Edit: ignore first part, I had misunderstood your post and had half drafted a reply which having redigested post was then not posted. 😁

How does rugby, cricket and tennis seem to have few of the issues created by the system they’ve adopted here. I get the moving action bit but both rugby codes sort that out either on the day or retrospectively. Crowds and TV audiences are bewildered in what’s going on, that can’t be right when it’s certainly a not cheap hobby!
Ebb and flow of the games are totally different. Lots of natural breaks which makes the interruptions in play more palatable to the participants.
Tennis uses hawkeye which I bet if you read in the small print has a margin of error. Its just accepted. In the case of tennis, its mm but that could be the difference between losing and winning a championship.
We are in agreement that VAR could be done much better, but, in this case, based on how VAR has operated across this tournament and in the PL this is a correct decision. This margin of error is what the authorities are accepting. And from there the decision is made based on the images available.
All of the other alternatives also carry an element of error margins and human error.
If we did away with the lines, the broadcasters would just draw them themselves to discredit a decision as they did before technology. In essence no lines and a no offside decision here would have been just as big a talking point as soon as BBC and BT drew the lines to "prove" offside.

The Referee Store
Edit: ignore first part, I had misunderstood your post and had half drafted a reply which having redigested post was then not posted. 😁

Ebb and flow of the games are totally different. Lots of natural breaks which makes the interruptions in play more palatable to the participants.
Tennis uses hawkeye which I bet if you read in the small print has a margin of error. Its just accepted. In the case of tennis, its mm but that could be the difference between losing and winning a championship.
We are in agreement that VAR could be done much better, but, in this case, based on how VAR has operated across this tournament and in the PL this is a correct decision. This margin of error is what the authorities are accepting. And from there the decision is made based on the images available.
All of the other alternatives also carry an element of error margins and human error.
If we did away with the lines, the broadcasters would just draw them themselves to discredit a decision as they did before technology. In essence no lines and a no offside decision here would have been just as big a talking point as soon as BBC and BT drew the lines to "prove" offside.
I agree with most of that James.

However I do think that the expectation is that 5 officials, including one with access to multi angels replays should make less mistakes than 4 without technology.

That's what's driving most of the discontent within the game to VAR in my view.

As I've said before, FIFA coming up with ridiculous stats about the % of decisions that are correct, or those quoting VAR 'protocols' after every non review or inconsistency are not going to change that.

I guess it boils down to advantages v disadvantages, does the former outweigh the latter, in my view no, but can see why some think they do.

This has been done to death on this forum but when it comes down to it, fans/pundits/players/managers have been calling for technology for years neglecting the fact that nothing will ever been 100% reliable as is the nature of technology. If they backtrack and remove VAR, the moment there’s one incorrect decision by the AR they’ll be calling for it again.

The fact of the matter is VAR will improve, we all know it has to but for the errors to be highlighted, it needs to be tried and tested so in the short term we have to just cope and allow things to progress. It won’t just stay as it is. The same as the LOTG. This gets amended yearly to reflect and ever changing game as there’s some problems which can’t be highlight without in game testing
I am not arguing against VAR or that it will improve. My argument is that the areas it should have improved in already and should have been very easy to do so are still killing the game painfully. The armpit offsides have been around far too long (since the very first FA cup game in England) to have not been improved. The other one is re-refereeing the game decisions.

Back