A&H

Extra sub extra time & player injured

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
I think I already know the answer but it has seemingly got me a bit confused so I'd thought I'll ask you wonderful people.

Take the Arsenal v Chelsea game as an example, a player gets injured right at the end of a game (or any time really after last sub was made) and all subs in regular time have been used.
If the macth goes to extra time can they just bring someone on to make the numbers to 11 again, effectively using the injured player as the player to leave, or do the club have to take someone else off?

My thinking is the injured player, despite coming off in regular time, is still effectively part of the match as hasn't officially been taken off (subbed or sent off) and therefore when the extra sub comes into force in extra time a new player is good to come on replacing, officially, the injured player.

Am I correct?

The Referee Store
I think I already know the answer but it has seemingly got me a bit confused so I'd thought I'll ask you wonderful people.

Take the Arsenal v Chelsea game as an example, a player gets injured right at the end of a game (or any time really after last sub was made) and all subs in regular time have been used.
If the macth goes to extra time can they just bring someone on to make the numbers to 11 again, effectively using the injured player as the player to leave, or do the club have to take someone else off?

My thinking is the injured player, despite coming off in regular time, is still effectively part of the match as hasn't officially been taken off (subbed or sent off) and therefore when the extra sub comes into force in extra time a new player is good to come on replacing, officially, the injured player.

Am I correct?

Am I correct?
I believe you are correct as that player who went off injured, in theory, come back on at any time until substituted.

Am I correct?

Player has not been substituted, nor Dismissed, therefore can return to the FOP.

You can look at this any number of ways and the outcome is as you explained in the OP. Everyone you can think of has a specific 'name'/'reference' in the lotg. The person coming off is referred to a "a player temporarily off the field of play" but note that he is still a player, not a substituted player, not a substituted, not a sent off player, not a team official, not a extra person.... A player can be substituted with your permission at any stoppage with a named substitute provided they have not maxed out on substitutions. Its the same as a sin binned player who can be substituted at the end of the sin bin without coming on.

Also note the highlight from the lotg which is specific to your scenario:

1596468044133.png

Think of it in the same vein as a half time sub - the player being taken off isn't obliged to come out onto the pitch after half time in full kit just in order to be taken off. They can walk out in their tracksuit and sit on the bench, with the "formalities" of a substitution only taking place with the player coming on.

Back