A&H

Exaggerated fall

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
Today I gave a penalty late in the second half. Yellow had received the ball to feet inside the 18 with his back to goal. Defender comes in from behind and boots him in the back of the legs expecting the attacker to turn. The attacker then throws himself to the ground and begins rolling around holding his ankle in apparent pain and screaming. 30 seconds later, he’s up and ready to take the pen. It’s an easy pen to give but the players reaction has then made the defending team turn on me, shouting about diving.

My opinion, he needlessly threw himself to the ground and exaggerated the challenge to win the pen but for me, without that it was still a pen. Any advice on how to deal with the defending team in this scenario? I was tempted to tell them that I even though it was exaggerated but still a pen but I was concerned that would upset the attacking team.

The Referee Store
Point to the spot, walk slowly to the standing position, engage la,la la ears mode.. Don't engage in too much debate, you aint changing your mind, Dont complicate it in debating it.... Penalty..... next!!!!

Is there a scenario in which you can give the penalty and caution the player who was fouled ?

What works you caution them for? I don't see how you can say that a foul has been commited and award a penalty/free kick and then caution the player for simulation.

It can't be a foul and a dive

What works you caution them for? I don't see how you can say that a foul has been commited and award a penalty/free kick and then caution the player for simulation.

I suppose, if convinced that it was exaggerated you book them for delaying the restart but as Shef said, good luck selling it

I suppose, if convinced that it was exaggerated you book them for delaying the restart but as Shef said, good luck selling it
I think I know what you mean by delaying the restart but you'd have trouble selling that to any assessor/observer I know as well.

If he is feignting an injury or trying to undeservedly get the opponent booked then you can book him for USB. Otherwise just have a quiet or public chat with him depending on how bad it was.

You can respond to any defender by "him play acting doesn't changed the fact that he was fouled" and then get in with it.

Of course it can, well the original post has suggested this has been the case.

Im not saying id give that particular decision as you're probably bringing on more hassle than needed.

Of course it can, well the original post has suggested this has been the case.

Im not saying id give that particular decision as you're probably bringing on more hassle than needed.

Simulation is for someone simulating a foul, i.e. diving, not for someone exaggerating their reaction to a foul, such as rolling around on the floor.

If the player does not simulate a foul you cannot caution them for simulation. It's pretty straight forward.

Maybe a caution for usb, or delaying the restart, or shows lack of respect to the game etc but any of those would be a bit of a stretch.

Strictly speaking, there might be a case for the prosecution in terms of feigning injury. However, we're not in the business of presiding over cases in which there is no plaintiff. A ticking off will keep the paperwork from mounting up

Would you honestly have given the pen if he stated on his feet?
You can definitely stick with the foul but book him for feigning injury. After all feigning usually comes after a foul. Screaming in pain but good a few seconds later? Good case for a card.. You'll have to explain it was still a foul to the other team, but he's already thrown you under the bus

Reactions: one
Simulation is for someone simulating a foul, i.e. diving, not for someone exaggerating their reaction to a foul, such as rolling around on the floor.

If the player does not simulate a foul you cannot caution them for simulation. It's pretty straight forward.

Maybe a caution for usb, or delaying the restart, or shows lack of respect to the game etc but any of those would be a bit of a stretch.
1)simulation is under USB anyway
2)feigning injury is most definitely cautionable

1)simulation is under USB anyway
2)feigning injury is most definitely cautionable
1) true, but in England when you submit a caution for usb you have select a reason, it doesn't just go in as usb
2) would that come under simulation, or word it, as I said in my previous post, come under something else that isn't simulation?

1) true, but in England when you submit a caution for usb you have select a reason, it doesn't just go in as usb
2) would that come under simulation, or word it, as I said in my previous post, come under something else that isn't simulation?
P106 of The Good Book:

attempts to deceive the referee e.g. by feigning injury or pretending to have
been fouled (simulation)

Note that this is considered a 'must caution'.
And personally, I think the game desperately needs cheats like the one we're discussing to be booked.

Sure it may be confusing to the players that he gets a card and a penalty - but like I said, he's already thrown you into a situation where your match control may go out the window. So I don't see the 'match control' argument (in favour of not booking) as an overly strong one.

IT's just hard being absolutely certain here. It doesn't come up all that often. Questionable, plenty of times - but the situation here sounds pretty extreme

After you've been kicked, there is pain. Sometimes it's very painful. Generally, it only hurts a lot for a few seconds before the pain begins to subside and you're okay again. Being kicked from behind or cracked on the shin is no different (IMO) to how it feels to any of us when we bash our "funny bone" or stub our toe. You just need a few seconds to clutch the area and wince a bit before the initial "OMFG that really hurts - leave me alone" feeling goes. I'd say it's no different for footballers.
Sure, rolling around and screaming may be a bit extreme in most cases but the fact that this player was able to get up and take the penalty shortly afterwards is perfectly normal and shouldn't be any surprise. ??

As for the other team complaining about "diving" - I'd just ignore that.

As another member has already said, you can always say something along the lines of "okay, I know he made a meal of it guys, but it was still a foul and a penalty". :cool:

If someone exaggerates a foul and that is all he did or wanted to do to get a free kick, you are not justified in law to cation him if you would have give the free kick anyway.

The only provision the law gives you under this clause and situation to caution is if he feigns an injury or tried to convince you to make a decision (for example a sanction) which you would have not made otherwise.
Screenshot_20190121-222130__01.jpg
Screenshot_20190121-221939__01.jpg
Screenshot_20190121-222029__01.jpg

If someone exaggerates a foul and that is all he did or wanted to do to get a free kick, you are not justified in law to cation him if you would have give the free kick anyway.

The only provision the law gives you under this clause and situation to caution is if he feigns an injury or tried to convince you to make a decision (for example a sanction) which you would have not made otherwise.
View attachment 2941
View attachment 2942
View attachment 2943
Yeah but if somebody is rolling around on the ground screaming pretending to be injured when they're not, they're looking for a card for the opponent.

After you've been kicked, there is pain. Sometimes it's very painful. Generally, it only hurts a lot for a few seconds before the pain begins to subside and you're okay again. Being kicked from behind or cracked on the shin is no different (IMO) to how it feels to any of us when we bash our "funny bone" or stub our toe. You just need a few seconds to clutch the area and wince a bit before the initial "OMFG that really hurts - leave me alone" feeling goes. I'd say it's no different for footballers.
Sure, rolling around and screaming may be a bit extreme in most cases but the fact that this player was able to get up and take the penalty shortly afterwards is perfectly normal and shouldn't be any surprise. ??

As for the other team complaining about "diving" - I'd just ignore that.

As another member has already said, you can always say something along the lines of "okay, I know he made a meal of it guys, but it was still a foul and a penalty". :cool:
And what about if they need oxygen? ;)

Point to the spot, walk slowly to the standing position, engage la,la la ears mode.. Don't engage in too much debate, you aint changing your mind, Dont complicate it in debating it.... Penalty..... next!!!![/QUOTE

I agree with Shef and agree with trying to keep it very simple. I always stress mechanics and postioning can save your arse. My mechanics suck but my positioning is spot on. Point to the spot as well, if you have a solid AR crew, they are already in position. A good "Quiet" would help as well. Keep up the good work!

Back