A&H

Ex players

A&H International
All for it. It will either work gloriously and so increases the talent pool and available learning opportunities or it will dispell the "you've never played myth".
I think it will have mixed results. We will get some results from it, but there will be those that don't make it. I'm not sure what the thing is that makes referees enjoy refereeing, but some have it and some don't.

Agree with @JamesL , and it would be even better if they made a documentary about this and showed them refereeing some early grass roots games and the shock of how difficult it is etc to increase awareness all around.

Agree with @JamesL , and it would be even better if they made a documentary about this and showed them refereeing some early grass roots games and the shock of how difficult it is etc to increase awareness all around.
Think it's going to be documented. Already some footage from the 3 day camp so hopefully that's a taster of what's to come.
We should welcome these new referees into the world of refereeing just like any others. These players have had a somewhat experience in the world of football and we should definitely explore how those experiences can translate across into refereeing.

Personally I think it is a PR stunt, as the age of the referees mean they will never make it to the top level, or even senior levels, even if fast tracked. Of the ones named, Peter Vicenti is 38, Chris Birchall 40, and Anthony Griffith 37, I just can't see them risking letting a referee loose on an EFL game with only 2 or 3 years experience. There might be younger ones not named but I just don't see how it is going to work.

If it does work then great, if it doesn't it should kill the "they have never played the game" argument stone dead.

Some good points. I personally think we need to get some young players such as academy players. Maybe the ones that may not make the cut as players can move over refereeing.

Back