A&H

Everton vs Arsenal

Joshref

RefChat Addict
Only watching on a small screen at a pub, but it looked like a red. Thoughts from anyone watching the game in a better way?

A&H International
Only watching on a small screen at a pub, but it looked like a red. Thoughts from anyone watching the game in a better way?

Yeah. I'm not gonna say it was intentional, but I think he could have avoided the contact there.

Stamping on someone's face... Na it isn't deemed as endangering a player's safety or anything. Play on...

Stamping on someone's face... Na it isn't deemed as endangering a player's safety or anything. Play on...
It's an odd thing. Someone accidently follows through and puts studs in the leg and it's a red. Are we saying since it wasn't really a "challenge" that he gets away with it?

It's an odd thing. Someone accidently follows through and puts studs in the leg and it's a red. Are we saying since it wasn't really a "challenge" that he gets away with it?
Exactly. How can one be a red and another not?

Its a clear red, intention does not matter, its serious foul play and only a red card is suitable.

2nd Richarlison offside is unlucky, but it's an optical illusion making it look closer since his foot was off the ground.

Accidental is not the word I'd use to differentiate these.
One can be anticipated, the other can't. One is controlable the other isn't. One is avoidable the other isn't.

Here's the official image.

SfXOX9O.jpg

And here is the angle VAR looked at twice to verify Richarlison's foot was off the ground and that the software was correctly locating his foot.

fbSIlbg.png

Just a curious question following Grays celebration (of what was a fantastic goal)....

Removed shirt = caution - given.
Runs to perimeter fencing (ad boards) and gets cuddled by onrushing fans = caution (for
climbing onto a perimeter fence and/or approaching the spectators in a manner which causes safety and/or security issues) - no card.

2 separate incidents in my eyes.
He removes shirt, does a knee slide. Happy with that. Then rushes in to the crowd.

Could you, or even would you, caution twice for the same celebration?

It looked red to me, but was it enough for VAR to say it was a clear and obvious error? The strange thing is as well that Godfrey is generally quite a laid back player and not prone to reactions like that, and it isn't as if Tomiyasu is the kind of player to have wound him up to provoke the reaction. Perhaps it was an accident, but it didn't look like one.

Just a curious question following Grays celebration (of what was a fantastic goal)....

Runs to perimeter fencing (ad boards) and gets cuddled by onrushing fans = caution (for
climbing onto a perimeter fence and/or approaching the spectators in a manner which causes safety and/or security issues) - no card.

He removes shirt, does a knee slide. Happy with that. Then rushes in to the crowd.

As a referee you would have zero cedibility giving out two cautions there. As gets said a lot, at that level you aren't refereeing a game you are managing an event, and I think any PL referee giving two yellows there probably wouldn't ever get another game.

For me, it’s intentional. If you watch the slow mo, you can see Godfrey look at the arsenal player before making the move with his leg. A really naughty ‘challenge’

As a referee you would have zero cedibility giving out two cautions there. As gets said a lot, at that level you aren't refereeing a game you are managing an event, and I think any PL referee giving two yellows there probably wouldn't ever get another game.
This annoys me though, rules are rules and the fact they arent enforced renders them useless, may aswell not have them🤷‍♂️

This annoys me though, rules are rules and the fact they arent enforced renders them useless, may aswell not have them🤷‍♂️

But no one, except perhaps for some referees, wants to see Gray sent off for that. It would be a ridiculous red card, and will never happen at the top level. Football isn't about referees, we are there to support the game, not the other way around.

But no one, except perhaps for some referees, wants to see Gray sent off for that. It would be a ridiculous red card, and will never happen at the top level. Football isn't about referees, we are there to support the game, not the other way around.
We were saying the same about wasting time in the first half before one got sent off recently at a throw but I do agree with your point.

You can compare this to dissent. Some player having a go at you decision with multiple sentences and gesture as well, you don't give the multiple cautions.

This whole thing was one incident of excessive celebration and needs one caution only.

Last edited:
I think it is completely fair to treat the entire celebration as a single cautionable event--just as we don't give two dissent cards to a player because he said two things at the same time. It's not about not following the rules so much as understanding the point of the rules.

For me, it’s intentional. If you watch the slow mo, you can see Godfrey look at the arsenal player before making the move with his leg. A really naughty ‘challenge’
I think it's clear that Godfrey didn't expect his opponent's head to be there. He did see that Tomiyasu was falling but then looked away while Tomiyasu was still falling. If he meant it, it's impressive anticipation and accuracy. Godfrey's immediate reaction after the contact also suggests that it took him by surprise. Again, if he meant it, great acting.

Here, a yellow card might be appropriate for acting without due regard to the danger to or consequences for an opponent. It's certainly not serious foul play or violent conduct.

Back