The Ref Stop

EVE LIV

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Taylor 2 possible red cards.

Tarkowski on Nunez is a mandatory yellow. It's studs up, high and incredibly dangerous. I don't think red card. But no card, when right in front of the referee, is bizarre.
VVD on Onana is a red card, it's excessive force, the point of contact, high on the ankle, no attempt to play the ball, it's dirty from Virgil. It's a C&O error not to red card this.

Once again, this is a different sport. Players and officials watching this might try and do the same in Sunday league tomorrow. I pray not.

The Ref Stop
Walton excused the VVD one on the basis that although initial contact was high, his foot was lower by the time he actually imparted any force. Effectively it's a glancing blow on the shin, followed by forcefully treading on his foot - which obviously hurts and worth a yellow, but I can buy it not being worth red. And certainly not C&O.

Speaking of C&O, the offside in this is textbook use of VAR. A tight, difficult offside call, missed on field and corrected by the tech to materially affect the result. Now to go watch the highlights of the other games and I'm sure see more excellent VAR...

Last edited:
Taylor 2 possible red cards.

Tarkowski on Nunez is a mandatory yellow. It's studs up, high and incredibly dangerous. I don't think red card. But no card, when right in front of the referee, is bizarre.
VVD on Onana is a red card, it's excessive force, the point of contact, high on the ankle, no attempt to play the ball, it's dirty from Virgil. It's a C&O error not to red card this.

Once again, this is a different sport. Players and officials watching this might try and do the same in Sunday league tomorrow. I pray not.

VVD is absolutely a red.

Worse, we all know the same ref would give a red card in Qatar/Champs League without blinking an eye

VVD is absolutely a red.

Worse, we all know the same ref would give a red card in Qatar/Champs League without blinking an eye

I got to say I don't know what is a red card anymore in the PL when it comes to SFP. I mean Mike Riley can gloat that the PL sees less red cards(think there has only been 3 so far) than any other league but if we are seeing instances where the referee have missed a potential red card then that is not a good look either.

Of course we saw it the other way also with a referee making a brave call(and imo not a clear and obvious error) with a red card only for the VAR to poke his nose in and give a yellow instead.

Of course we saw it the other way also with a referee making a brave call(and imo not a clear and obvious error) with a red card only for the VAR to poke his nose in and give a yellow instead.
nitpick: the VAR didn’t downgrade it. The R downgraded it. That is a subtle, but important, distinction.

nitpick: the VAR didn’t downgrade it. The R downgraded it. That is a subtle, but important, distinction.

Yep bit badly worded there by me there. VAR recommended for it to be downgraded despite seemingly not being a clear and obvious error.

If this is not a red card then we wont see another SFP red all season

Attachments

• B05A113C-D588-4ED0-9A6A-17624662900C.png
    B05A113C-D588-4ED0-9A6A-17624662900C.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
Walton excused the VVD one on the basis that although initial contact was high, his foot was lower by the time he actually imparted any force. Effectively it's a glancing blow on the shin, followed by forcefully treading on his foot - which obviously hurts and worth a yellow, but I can buy it not being worth red. And certainly not C&O.

Speaking of C&O, the offside in this is textbook use of VAR. A tight, difficult offside call, missed on field and corrected by the tech to materially affect the result. Now to go watch the highlights of the other games and I'm sure see more excellent VAR...
Excuses. Look, VVD is my favourite player, I have his shirt hanging in my window. There's no attempt to play the ball, it's dirty, high, late, it's an attempt to injure the opponent, you are trying to find an excuse not to card by saying something about some forceful contact is lower than some other contact. Excuses. It's clearly a red card offence.

It seems the Premier League are intent on changing the laws of the game and introducing new thresholds for sanctions, penalties and offences. Until FIFA or UEFA stop them, I guess it will go on. I guess you can justify some crazy decisions now based on how the Premier League has moved the goalposts - but it does not mean it is according to the LotG. Could be some surprises for EPL players, fans and officials (if they make it) in the WC.

Excuses. Look, VVD is my favourite player, I have his shirt hanging in my window. There's no attempt to play the ball, it's dirty, high, late, it's an attempt to injure the opponent, you are trying to find an excuse not to card by saying something about some forceful contact is lower than some other contact. Excuses. It's clearly a red card offence.

It seems the Premier League are intent on changing the laws of the game and introducing new thresholds for sanctions, penalties and offences. Until FIFA or UEFA stop them, I guess it will go on. I guess you can justify some crazy decisions now based on how the Premier League has moved the goalposts - but it does not mean it is according to the LotG. Could be some surprises for EPL players, fans and officials (if they make it) in the WC.
I think inferring that kind of intent is a bit of a stretch. And downwards force onto a foot is considered lesser than the studs into the shin that the misleading still suggests, it's odd that this seems to be a novel concept?

I'm open to the idea that you can still judge it red with that in mind - but those definitely provide enough mitigation that it would have been wildly inconsistent for VAR to get involved with this given what's bene let go previously.

I think inferring that kind of intent is a bit of a stretch. And downwards force onto a foot is considered lesser than the studs into the shin that the misleading still suggests, it's odd that this seems to be a novel concept?

I'm open to the idea that you can still judge it red with that in mind - but those definitely provide enough mitigation that it would have been wildly inconsistent for VAR to get involved with this given what's bene let go previously.
Think am with you on this one mate.
It's a poor challenge and I'd back any referee who did send off but actually, is the force excessive? not for me. A lot of the force comes from the forward momentum of the attacker. Was safety endangered? very subjective, it's 50/50 for me, a bit more force into the shin then yes but I'm not sure we can say absolutely on this one as the blownis glancing on the shin and then downward to foot as you have described and finally brutal? Absolutely not.
Think I go yellow myself, and I certainly would not expect a VAR intervention

Think am with you on this one mate.
It's a poor challenge and I'd back any referee who did send off but actually, is the force excessive? not for me. A lot of the force comes from the forward momentum of the attacker. Was safety endangered? very subjective, it's 50/50 for me, a bit more force into the shin then yes but I'm not sure we can say absolutely on this one as the blownis glancing on the shin and then downward to foot as you have described and finally brutal? Absolutely not.
Think I go yellow myself, and I certainly would not expect a VAR intervention

Taylor goes yellow for that in his first Qatar game, it will also be his last

Maybe. The last World Cup didn't have a single red for SFP or VC. Sometimes these big tournaments end up shifting to a higher bar.
Yeah, that's an astute observation. If we buy into the theory that ref's (or their bosses) are afraid of big decisions and sending off the TV companies' stars in the PL, it will of course be even more then case in the WC.

Back