A&H

Euro 2016

jack.prescott

Work hard, stay humble
Level 6 Referee
How bizarre, despite being the hosts... France will take part in the qualifying but none of their results count and where they finish in the group doesn't matter

The Referee Store
the new often seems strange

according to what i read previous host nations have found it difficult to arrange friendlies during qualifying round - for obvious reasons so makes perfect sense to me

I see where you're coming from with that but say they come top in their group I presume it is the next 2 teams which qualify and the team which actually finished 4th in the group go to the play offs?

they can't come top in their group......because none of their results count

but doesn't that make it a bit easier on the rest of the group? Fance don;t really have to try and win - not that I'm suggesting the French would do make it easier for some over others (Eurovision voting?)- but, unless there is one extra team in the group, then it's a little unfair to the other groups.

Do their opponents get the points if they win? Or is it simply a scheduled friendly within the competition?

Sounds like a Platini scam to me, trying to favour Les Bleus?

Remember a few World Cups ago he said referees weren't showing enough red cards to players and demanded 'Action'

Zut Alors!! The next day, Laurent Blanc the French skipper got his marching orders......Classic!

but doesn't that make it a bit easier on the rest of the group? Fance don;t really have to try and win - not that I'm suggesting the French would do make it easier for some over others (Eurovision voting?)- but, unless there is one extra team in the group, then it's a little unfair to the other groups.

Do their opponents get the points if they win? Or is it simply a scheduled friendly within the competition?

Apart from France there are 53 teams in the competition, divided up into 8 groups of 6 and 1 group of 5. France go into the group of 5

France's games are, indeed, scheduled friendlies

If you are a team in their group, do you bother fielding anything but your reserves?

So all the groups have two qualifying out of 6 teams, unless you are in France's group, where two qualify from four?
So, get into France's group and there's a 50/50 chance of going through, 1/3 if you are anywhere else.

Seems fair to me - in a French, Platini kind of way.

No, Matty - france become the sixth team in the group of five - i put it badly :)

The group winners, runners-up, and the best third-placed team (with the results against the sixth-placed team discarded) directly qualify to the finals. The eight remaining third-placed teams will contest two-legged play-offs to determine the last four qualifiers for the finals

Why are some people so surprised that there is a numerical advantage in being in a qualifying group of five rather than a group of six. it's only been happening for the last 50 odd years or so

Back