A&H

ESP v GEO

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
When you compare to the referee in the England game, how has there only been one caution in this match?
Some very late and highly reckless challenges and no cards..

A&H International
GK double touch hands offence?

Controls the ball with the hands, slides to the edge of the box, drops the ball, picks it up again - IDFK no?
Good spot that Santa. If indeed he had full control before dropping it (not a 'save'). I can't recall exactly without another replay

I honestly dont think the spirit of the law expects this to be penalised, I certainly wouldn't.

Yes, you can play hard and fast with the words and and call an offence, you might find the rest of the game harder to manage as a result.

I remember the incident. I don't recall any expectation for an IDFK there from anyone. Sometimes as refs we see too much!
Just because the rest of the football family don’t know the laws doesn’t mean there wasn’t an offence.

I think it was 70 something mins maybe 75 but can’t be sure. Pretty clean slide to collect on the floor, momentum is gonna take him out of the area.

IIRC similar happens every know and again (Spurs cup final) GK hands controls the ball, stops it from going out - not a save - then let’s it drop, then picks if up again. AFAIK should be IDFK.

In this game, what about 2 balls on the field, “second” ball kicked off by player. Surely must mean dropped ball - especially as in an attacking area. Where are we in law on that?

Just because the rest of the football family don’t know the laws doesn’t mean there wasn’t an offence.

I think it was 70 something mins maybe 75 but can’t be sure. Pretty clean slide to collect on the floor, momentum is gonna take him out of the area.

IIRC similar happens every know and again (Spurs cup final) GK hands controls the ball, stops it from going out - not a save - then let’s it drop, then picks if up again. AFAIK should be IDFK.

I personally don't think football expects an IDFK in a situation where a goalkeepers momentum is going to take him out of the area as he isn't fully in control of the ball if he's not in control of his own body. I know that isn't in law, and on a strict interpretation you're correct, I just don't feel it's necessary to get involved.

In this game, what about 2 balls on the field, “second” ball kicked off by player. Surely must mean dropped ball - especially as in an attacking area. Where are we in law on that?

Was this the England game? or did it happen again in the Spain game?
I was abit iffy about how it was dealt with in the England game to be honest, because strictly if the ball doesn't interfere with play then there is no need to stop it, so it wasn't incorrect, but the referee put his whistle to his mouth and people were then expecting the stoppage, Slovakia played a good through ball as the spare ball was kicked off and suddenly he lets it go. Didn't think that was too clever!

I see what you are saying. Strict interpretation has this an offence.

I reckon it this was penalised in a game like this then we'd see law drafted to allow it.
Was this the one where he smashed the ball into the crowd, or was that England game? Whichever one it was I wasnt particularly happy with the way the player kicked it off.

Anyway,
If the ball does not interfere with play then the game continues. Player removing it by kicking it off I don't think counts as interfering with play although that could be debated.

Ok, seen it now. For me this is a matter of interpretation of of "releasing it" and I don't think the laws intended to define this as release. He always intended to catch that agin. The same way a bounce is a release with intend to regain again.

I don't think the laws need to explicitly say "without intending to regain possession with hand".

If we wanted to be too pedantic on this law, the keeper can receive the ball with his foot, release it (with his foot) and touch it with his hand before it has touched another player. That would be an IFK.

EDIT: I have another example that applies similarly. From time to time I see a keeper who dives or slide on the floor to catch the ball with no one else round. They then put the ball In front of themselves on the floor freeing their hands to help themselves get off the floor and then bend down and pick up the ball. I don't think the law intended to define this as release.

Last edited:
Back