A&H

England v Denmark

My original thought was “does he think it’s a push?” and was somewhat sympathetic. We’ve all had moments where we’re convinced something untoward has gone on. On a reverse angle I see the kick such as it is. There’s also a delay in giving it - a moment of doubt perhaps, a “did he kick him?” and then the reaction of the attacking player near him confirms it in his mind.

50/50 call for me. Not a shocker, not horrendous, not biased (because NONE of us are). Will he have better days? Absolutely.

As for Reese James, unforgivable. Three game ban, don’t expect to be back in the squad after it’s up.

Agree with that. There's one angle where it looks like Walker has really kicked through the attackers leg, but from the other angles it looks like there is very little contact if any at all. And for the England players and supporters attacking the referee I would point to the fact it wouldn't have happened had it not been for ludicrous goalkeeping from Pickford. There can't be any question about Maguire's two cautions and they could both have even been straight reds.

In terms of England, it shouldn't be forgotten that they played well against the best team in the World the game before and beat them. But there will be rocky roads ahead unless Southgate can get some discipline in the team, find a reliable defence, and stop picking players based on experience or the fact they play for a top 6 team.

The Referee Store
Also very quiet on the Henderson penalty against Belgium. Some go for you, some go against. A bit unusual to “balance out” in successive games admittedly but serves to illustrate it.

Agree with that. There's one angle where it looks like Walker has really kicked through the attackers leg, but from the other angles it looks like there is very little contact if any at all. And for the England players and supporters attacking the referee I would point to the fact it wouldn't have happened had it not been for ludicrous goalkeeping from Pickford. There can't be any question about Maguire's two cautions and they could both have even been straight reds.

In terms of England, it shouldn't be forgotten that they played well against the best team in the World the game before and beat them. But there will be rocky roads ahead unless Southgate can get some discipline in the team, find a reliable defence, and stop picking players based on experience or the fact they play for a top 6 team.

The interesting thing was that the only TV replay angle that made it look like a penalty was a very similar one to the angle the referee had. Soft one, yes, but if that's in the centre circle it's a free kick and no-one is complaining.

The one thing that really wound me up was the press coverage of Reece James, stating he was sent off for dissent. 🙄🙄🙄🙄

'.......under strength best team in the world, missing not only their best player but one of the best players in the world!'

The interesting thing was that the only TV replay angle that made it look like a penalty was a very similar one to the angle the referee had. Soft one, yes, but if that's in the centre circle it's a free kick and no-one is complaining.

The one thing that really wound me up was the press coverage of Reece James, stating he was sent off for dissent. 🙄🙄🙄🙄
I believe this was an actual quote from Southgate as to what he was told.

The Maguire thing is not a topic of conversation (except that before the Nations League, the player would've probably stayed on the pitch [Laws non existant]) . His first lunge was pushing his luck anyway
The referee wasn't very good at best. He was refereeing to someone else's agenda (his UEFA observer), especially in terms of exaggerated, absurdly timed sprints. The PK was technically debatable, but credibly a really poor decision (and I don't give a monkeys about it). Not condoning Reece's behaviour, but this is football and the dismissal after the final was consistent with the referee's performance. Even at my level, I'd know that

The Maguire thing is not a topic of conversation (except that before the Nations League, the player would've probably stayed on the pitch [Laws non existant]) . His first lunge was pushing his luck anyway
The referee wasn't very good at best. He was refereeing to someone else's agenda (his UEFA observer), especially in terms of exaggerated, absurdly timed sprints. The PK was technically debatable, but credibly a really poor decision (and I don't give a monkeys about it). Not condoning Reece's behaviour, but this is football and the dismissal after the final was consistent with the referee's performance. Even at my level, I'd know that

The world doesn't run on "feelings: mate.
Williams was no different to any other petulant gobby bell-end we all encounter every weekend at at far lower level.
The penalty was nailed on. England were ****e. Lucky against Belgium, their luck ran out against a well-disciplined Denmark team that was unlucky not to take 3 points off us in the first encounter... 😉😎

Back