A&H

Early sliding in the box

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
With a bit of rain the sliding tackles are coming out in the artificial turf here. A lot of matches recently and 3 similar decisions to make this week. All in mildly competitive but still grassroots level.

Winger has cut inside and dribbling just inside a crowded box. Chasing defender slides very early, kinda anticipating blocking a shot, kinda close enough they might hook a tackle. It’s sliding… Attacker turns towards goal and goes over the defender.

Really tricky decisions. When the defender has slid really early and not towards the attacker I think it looks less like a penalty and easier to wave away (and maybe mention the attacker’s momentum).

Yesterday, my AR had told me before that he was experienced. He came late, ten mins before. The jig was up though when… I was cutting the grass at the pen appeal, and he stuck his flag up. I was sure it wasn’t offside. He also said “penalty” loud enough for players to hear. A few seconds later there was an offside and his flag went up again. Never skip penalty decisions in the pre-match! Luckily I had the players trust by this point and I managed it, I took ownership and explained no pen and offside.

Point being, difficult calls. I think the LotG could do better here on attempts to block the ball leading to contact and it could help attackers.

A&H International
Back