A&H

Early reflections

jamie0114

Level 7 Referee
I'm now 5 games in to my refereeing, I've done 4 9v9 U12 games for a team I know well, which have generally gone well. Things I picked up early has been to work on my positioning and concentration levels. I volunteered to do an U16 game yesterday as I thought it'd be a different experience from U12 but not too much of a step up. Everything went well at first, thought it better not to mention how new a referee I was and see how I got on.

Not sure what the rest of the country was like but 5 minutes after kicking off in cold sunshine, it started to rain, which turned to sleet blown in by a cold northerly for the rest of the game. Now I'd checked with the manager beforehand that it was 40 minutes each way but for some reason after 30 minutes my brain stopped working in the cold and wet and I blew for half time (U12 games have all been 30 though). One asst manager obviously was aware enough to point out we'd only played 30 so had to drag the players back on to play the rest of the half. Apologised for the mistake and fortunately I'd blown up just as the ball had gone out for a goal kick so there was no drama. Rest of the game went without incident fortunately, but realised that a mistake like that could have made it difficult if it had been tense. Afterwards they all joked that they'd wished they'd only played 30 e/w because of the weather (was asked after 3 minutes of 2nd half how long was left) and they asked if I could do any more games for them so I can't have been that bad.

The Referee Store
LOl - I did exactly the same in one of my first full age games - had been doing 40 min halves in training and I just went on autopilot (ignoring my countdown watch that I'd set correctly at the beginning) - like you I had blown when the ball was in a neutral position so no harm done - I now write the mins (as I do a mix of youth and adult games) on my match card just as a precaution as well as double checking my countdown watch as well.

Like most other things as you learn as a ref, once you have done it once, you don't do it again!

I've done the opposite for a college women's match. I had lined for the senior men's game and it was 45 minutes so I assumed (stupidly) that this was also 45. Longer and longer into the second half we go and the managers start to get confused. I'm not surprised as I ended playing 10 minutes more than I should have. Luckily it was an absolute thrashing so we played 35 minutes in the second half with no complaints. Just what happens when you don't think for a few minutes. Happens to us all.

I've only ever really done men's open, but I've still made this mistake with double-headers early in my refereeing career - apparently 4 x 30 minute halves is standard. Did not realise this and let the first half of a tense game run into the 37th minute before being properly questioned by both managers.

I've only ever really done men's open, but I've still made this mistake with double-headers early in my refereeing career - apparently 4 x 30 minute halves is standard. Did not realise this and let the first half of a tense game run into the 37th minute before being properly questioned by both managers.

It may well be standard but how on earth can you have 4 halves?
Sorry, couldn't help myself!

LOl - I did exactly the same in one of my first full age games - had been doing 40 min halves in training and I just went on autopilot (ignoring my countdown watch that I'd set correctly at the beginning) - like you I had blown when the ball was in a neutral position so no harm done - I now write the mins (as I do a mix of youth and adult games) on my match card just as a precaution as well as double checking my countdown watch as well.

Like most other things as you learn as a ref, once you have done it once, you don't do it again!

Always good to find out I'm not alone, as you say, the important thing is not to do it again. Reading about other's problem's/mistakes on here has been really useful.

Back