A&H

Duration of game due to light

Robin

Level 7 Referee
I had a mens game tonight which was 615pm kick off with no floodlights as it was a council pitch however I was worried that we would not get the full 90 minutes in due to the light so I suggested to the captains that we play 40 minutes a half instead, they were happy with that and the game was played no worries and the 10 minutes that was cut off actually helped as it was pretty dark towards the end so it was a good call to be fair.

Am I allowed to do this?

I wasn't too sure if I was allowed to do this but did it anyway but any help with this matter would be great for future light issues.

The Referee Store
You can normally look them up in competition rules as to the minimum duration, in the competitions I do, it's minimum 30 minutes. However the halves have to be equal length, so reducing to 40 each way is fine, what you can't do it do 45 one way then 35 the other.

I had a mens game tonight which was 615pm kick off with no floodlights as it was a council pitch however I was worried that we would not get the full 90 minutes in due to the light so I suggested to the captains that we play 40 minutes a half instead, they were happy with that and the game was played no worries and the 10 minutes that was cut off actually helped as it was pretty dark towards the end so it was a good call to be fair.

Am I allowed to do this?

I wasn't too sure if I was allowed to do this but did it anyway but any help with this matter would be great for future light issues.

tell 'em what their league rules allow and let them decide - with your agreement

sounds like you guessed...but nobody died

Strictly, probably not. The other option for recourse would be to simply abandon the match at 80 minutes at which point most leagues would consider that match fully played. That's generally what I do -- play the whole first half, end the second half when it becomes dangerous due to light.

In competition rules that I have read there is normally a minimum time. One thing for certain is that no one else will know.

I took charge of a double header (Girls U14 game) the other week where only one full game is played but the result counts double, only to be told as I am entering the FoP that one game is a cup semi-final.

Of course, my initial reaction was...what are the rules for extra time and pens??
I had no idea, neither did the 2 managers (I found this out without them knowing I didn't know).
Of course, it went to extra time..luckily for me an ex manager watching approached me and said "Another 7 minutes each way then!" getting me out of jail.
I was going to play 10 minutes each way.

Still a draw, it then also went to penalties (my first time) whereby I went for the LoTG interpretation (correctly). It was quite exciting too...no nerves as I thought I would have.

When I got home I checked the rules...should have been 7 and a half minutes each way.
See, no one knows......

Back