A&H

Double Touch Free Kick (Outside pen area)

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
One I've been asked and I'm not sure!

Defender 'double touches' a free kick (should be an IDFK to oppo) BUT if ball goes straight to oppo striker who smashes it in the net - can we play advantage?

I realise INSIDE the pen area, we can't as ball not in play because of the double touch but outside?

Help! Thanks

The Referee Store
I know of no lawful impediment to allowing this advantage, although i can't ever see it happening for a number of reasons

Saw it happen a few years ago in the PL but it was a GK - so retake was the (correct) decision.
Gk is different. The ball is never in play therefore the restart is another GK. Sure we have taken something similar to MR Elleray in the past and he confirmed advantage can be played.

Gk is different. The ball is never in play therefore the restart is another GK. Sure we have taken something similar to MR Elleray in the past and he confirmed advantage can be played.

Hello James, yes realise about the GK. I was just pointing out to BigCat that it CAN happen.

I'd imagine that a double touch would be difficult to differentiate from the FK having not been taken yet
Determining when a FK has been taken is sometimes unclear. If there's doubt, I'd police the kick to eliminate doubt and chaos

I'd imagine that a double touch would be difficult to differentiate from the FK having not been taken yet
Determining when a FK has been taken is sometimes unclear and we usually err on the side of concluding the FK has not indeed been taken whenever in doubt
Determining when a FK has been taken is sometimes unclear and we usually err on the side of concluding the FK has not indeed been taken whenever in doubt

Good point - see what you mean now

1550099145581.png

1550099573512.png

These two together answer the question.

If the ball is not in play when an offence occurs, then you can't play advantage because play has to restart according to previous decision (like a goal kick as discussed above).

You can play advantage for any offence when the ball is in play (sometimes not recommended) including technical and IFK offences.

Yes, you can play advantage. There's nothing stating advantage is only for fouls and offside.

You can't play advantage on an incorrect restart (eg foul throw) - but that's not what this is. This is a correct restart followed by an offence.
Determining when a FK has been taken is sometimes unclear. If there's doubt, I'd police the kick to eliminate doubt and chaos
Why would it be?

The first, the ball isn't in play
The 2nd, the ball is in play then an offence occurs.

Back