A&H

DOGSO - Eliminate the offender?

A&H International
This is a tough one really because in theory, if he took the ball inside the penalty area, there probably still wouldn't have been a chance for the attacker to score. Therefore, on that basis he hasn't really prevented an obvious goal-scoring opportunity in my view.

Great call from the lino, does it meet all the DOGSO considerations?

He's not in control but it meets all the others, in reality if the keeper kicks instead then it's not that close so I lean yellow for USB as a cop out

A more clear example would be if it was a defender (not keeper) standing on the goal line between the posts facing the FOP. The ball is coming directly at him on to his chest. But he catches it with his hands instead of letting it hit his chest. It would be denying a goal.

We have debated this before. The convention for DOG and DOGSO is you assess the outcome after taking the offending player out. Otherwise many cases the defender who makes the DOGSO foul, if doesn't committed the foul, has the capability of making it not an obvious GSO. Ref got it right for the OP. If I want my AR to flag is is a discussion for another thread.

Screenshot_20240730-235159.jpg

A more clear example would be if it was a defender (not keeper) standing on the goal line between the posts facing the FOP. The ball is coming directly at him on to his chest. But he catches it with his hands instead of letting it hit his chest. It would be denying a goal.

We have debated this before. The convention for DOG and DOGSO is you assess the outcome after taking the offending player out. Otherwise many cases the defender who makes the DOGSO foul, if doesn't committed the foul, has the capability of making it not an obvious GSO. Ref got it right for the OP. If I want my AR to flag is is a discussion for another thread.

View attachment 7439
I want this flagged
It's a KMS and does not fall under the 'safe refereeing' category (which is used too frequently IMO). We have to get this right. The mindset of safe refereeing might creep in by thinking about drop kicks, but this is very different
P.S. I think this is an old clip that's been discussed before. I might be wrong on that

I want this flagged
It's a KMS and does not fall under the 'safe refereeing' category (which is used too frequently IMO). We have to get this right. The mindset has to be very different for this situation than that of a drop kick for instance (in which case we're simply not interested)
You have the benefit of replay and freeze frame here. I also want it flagged if he is 100% certain. It is not about safe refereeing. It's about certainty to send a player off. It is a very difficult decision to get right because of flashlag and unlike offside, AR's don't get much practice on this scenario. As you can see from the still image it is much closer than the full speed replay shows.

An instruction of flag it if keeper carries it out or catches outside and bring it in is just going to mean they are going to get more wrong calls that acceptable unless you have FIFA badge ARs. My instruction is, flag it only if it is clear and obvious and you are absolutely 100% sure.

You have the benefit of replay and freeze frame here. I also want it flagged if he is 100% certain. It is not about safe refereeing. It's about certainty to send a player off. It is a very difficult decision to get right because of flashlag and unlike offside, AR's don't get much practice on this scenario. As you can see from the still image it is much closer than the full speed replay shows.

An instruction of flag it if keeper carries it out or catches outside and bring it in is just going to mean they are going to get more wrong calls that acceptable unless you have FIFA badge ARs. My instruction is, flag it only if it is clear and obvious and you are absolutely 100% sure.
OK.....I just think it's clear enough. Even the cameraman chuckles as he knows the keeper has fooked up

Back