The Ref Stop

Documentary about the wellbeing of Referees in Football - University Dissertation Project

MattFoster

Hello everybody,

Hope you're all keeping well. My name is Matt Foster and I'm a third year Broadcast Journalism student at the University of Leeds.

As part of my dissertation, we have been asked to create a 10 minute documentary on a topic of our choice and I have chosen to discuss referees mental health. This will include ways of coping with verbal abuse from fans, dealing with the pressures of making the right decision and highlighting why referees are so important in orchestrating the game. I have currently spoke to a number of senior figures, including Janie Frampton (chair of RefSupport UK).

I'd love to be able to film thoughts from some of you guys about whats its like to be a referee and what experiences you have had to deal with in the past.

The footage would not go anywhere outside of university walls, but the footage can be used by yourselves in any way you see fit.

I feel the issue is a really important one in maintaining the wellbeing of our referees and also encouraging young people to pursue the profession. As a massive football fan and regular grassroots player, I see the fantastic work referees do but am still staggered by the amount of abuse hurled towards you all.

Please feel free to drop me a message on the forum or send me an email on matt-j-foster@live.com if you would like to contribute. Thanks very much for your time.

All the best,

Matt Foster

University of Leeds

The Ref Stop
Not really sure what i can say, we all get abused at some level on a pretty regular basis but its become acceptable and the norm.

Im over 40 so feel i can handle the abuse that comes my way, i do feel for young refs at 16/17 getting through them first few games must be difficult challenge.

There is stuff that happens on a pitch that wouldn't be accepted anywhere else outside a football field.

Back