A&H

Do forfeited matches count towards suspension?

kelebel

Hi All,
If a player receives a two-game ban, and the club's next match is forfeited (i.e. they are unable to raise a squad and the three points are awarded to the opposition), does this game count towards the player's suspension? I would have thought so, as technically his team have completed the fixture and lost, but I couldn't find any FA guidance on the matter.

The Referee Store
I would be inclined to think no, they would not count towards a suspension. As suspensions serve as punishment for a misconduct offence, if the match is not played, no punishment has been served as no match has been missed (even though there was not one to play in). This is the answer I would be giving should this issue be raised on match day.

However, it will be best to check with someone in the discipline department at your local county FA. Their contact details will be on your local county FA website. Alternatively, give your local county FA a call, they should be able to help you.

Not really a refereeing matter. One for the discipline department.
I'd say no, as the match hasn't been played, but this isn't a matter of laws of the game so it is purely a guess

Not really a refereeing matter. One for the discipline department.
I'd say no, as the match hasn't been played, but this isn't a matter of laws of the game so it is purely a guess
That was my thought too, generally player eligibility if not referee's responsibility.

It depends whether the suspension is match based or time based.

A game that is postponed, cancelled or abandoned does not count towards a match based ban. Matches must be completed to count for match based suspensions.

If it’s time based - eg 3 weeks then once that three weeks is up, that’s it. Irrespective of whether games are played or not.

In a real life example, before match based suspensions at grassroots, a goal keeper I sent off for handling outside the area got a 7 day ban that started on Christmas Day. No games were played between Christmas and New Year that year. His next game was Jan 2, so it had no effect on him or his club.

Reactions: ARF
It depends whether the suspension is match based or time based.

A game that is postponed, cancelled or abandoned does not count towards a match based ban. Matches must be completed to count for match based suspensions.

If it’s time based - eg 3 weeks then once that three weeks is up, that’s it. Irrespective of whether games are played or not.

In a real life example, before match based suspensions at grassroots, a goal keeper I sent off for handling outside the area got a 7 day ban that started on Christmas Day. No games were played between Christmas and New Year that year. His next game was Jan 2, so it had no effect on him or his club.
Showing your age there a bit @Tealeaf, it's been about 11 years since they changed from term-based to match-based suspensions for red cards at grassroots level 😉 (although I should add that some of the more serious misconduct charges can still lead to a term-based suspension)

@kelebel Tealeaf is right, if a match is postponed, cancelled, forfeited or abandoned, then it will not count towards the completion of a player's suspension.

Showing your age there a bit @Tealeaf, it's been about 11 years since they changed from term-based to match-based suspensions for red cards at grassroots level 😉 (although I should add that some of the more serious misconduct charges can still lead to a term-based suspension)

@kelebel Tealeaf is right, if a match is postponed, cancelled, forfeited or abandoned, then it will not count towards the completion of a player's suspension.
Not sure that long Alex. I've only been going 10 seasons and it was time based when I started, I am sure it was.

But do the missed games have to be from the same competition?

eg player gets RC in Saturday County League game & 3 match ban.

He also plays in the Sunday Dog & Duck league (still affiliated to local FA) Does missing games for his Sunday team count towards the 3 match suspensio?

(I know it’s not up to me, as ref, to police who plays, just interested)

N

He also plays in the Sunday Dog & Duck league (still affiliated to local FA) Does missing games for his Sunday team count towards the 3 match suspensio?

Kinda - a Saturday football ban applies to Saturday competitions so is counted from all games played by that particular side. This can be league, league cup and county cup games.

Sunday games are for a different team (even if from the same club) so those games do not count towards a Saturday suspension.

Echo this sentiment. Interested to hear thoughts. Last season had this exact situation. Sent off a GK (1st team) - blatant DOGSO-H. No complaints.

After the match, the GK came over for the obligatory "are you sure you want to send that in...", which obviously fell on deaf ears.

But that conversation concluded with him stating "looks like I'll have to play for the reserves next week" (they play in a different different league (both Saturday).

N

Kinda - a Saturday football ban applies to Saturday competitions so is counted from all games played by that particular side. This can be league, league cup and county cup games.

Sunday games are for a different team (even if from the same club) so those games do not count towards a Saturday suspension.

I reminded him of the need to be careful (as I confess I wasn't sure on this at the time), but he was adamant that because it's a different side in a different league (i.e. the reserves, in a different league) it is ok with the club and county FA. Thanks for confirming though, this seems much more of a plausible explanation.

Echo this sentiment. Interested to hear thoughts. Last season had this exact situation. Sent off a GK (1st team) - blatant DOGSO-H. No complaints.

After the match, the GK came over for the obligatory "are you sure you want to send that in...", which obviously fell on deaf ears.

But that conversation concluded with him stating "looks like I'll have to play for the reserves next week" (they play in a different different league (both Saturday).

You are suspended from type of football, which I think is Saturday, Sunday and midweek. So he wouldn't have been able to play for the reserves as that would still be Saturday football.

Suspensions for misconduct apply to all football. Should also add that this only applies at step 7 and below, there are different rules at step 6 and above.

You are suspended from type of football, which I think is Saturday, Sunday and midweek. So he wouldn't have been able to play for the reserves as that would still be Saturday football.

Suspensions for misconduct apply to all football. Should also add that this only applies at step 7 and below, there are different rules at step 6 and above.
*Step 5 and below

Back