A&H

Dissent

Rye87Ref

Level 7 Referee
Just wondering if anyone on here has trialed zero tolerance towards dissent in their games and done away with the 'stepped approach', and if so, how it affected their games.

I am not the biggest fan of the stepped approach anymore to be honest, but I do understand why it works. For example I can see zero tolerance leading to a player receiving a 'cheap' caution for dissent and then one stone wall caution-able tackle later and he is a goner.

The reason I ask, is that I was assistant the other week in a quarter-final (open age) to a referee who stated during his pre-match, that he had a zero tolerance towards dissent and was especially protective of his assistants with regard to dissent. There were two dissent cautions (one for either team) within the first four minutes and not a single peep except appeals from any of the players for the remainder of the game.

I have to say I was amazed at how well it worked. I think like a lot of things in football, new methods become old methods relatively quickly (eg the respect campaign). The players are now fully aware of how 'we' operate with regard to dissent. They are fully aware that they get a couple of cheap shots, with no real comeback.

I quizzed the referee after the game about how well it works for him in other games. He stated that it works better in some games than it does in others. He stated that he didn't care if he ended up with 12 cautions for dissent in a single game, because it was a cancer within the game that required eradicating and that referees as a group have become their own worst enemy by standing by and just letting it happen.

Viva la revolución !!!!!

The Referee Store
well. i'd like to be edging a bit closer to zero tolerance as my experience builds, thats certainly a target i have in mind , but not something i've tried yet
i'd also be interested to see how many have done so and what the reaction has been

The stepped approach is not mandatory, and when dealing with dissent should be used cautiously as it can allow dissent to build to ridiculous levels if a referee is seen to be too reliant on it.

You need to learn to be able to distinguish between frustration, dissent and OFFINABUS.....as it's often a fine line.

I have a very low tolerance for dissent, almost non existent in some cases......a lot depends on the player....if it's one that I know from previous experience will be chirping all game, he'll be in the book probably at his first outburst....the rest is all down to volume, aggression, etc etc

The stepped approach is not mandatory, and when dealing with dissent should be used cautiously as it can allow dissent to build to ridiculous levels if a referee is seen to be too reliant on it.

You need to learn to be able to distinguish between frustration, dissent and OFFINABUS.....as it's often a fine line.

I have a very low tolerance for dissent, almost non existent in some cases......a lot depends on the player....if it's one that I know from previous experience will be chirping all game, he'll be in the book probably at his first outburst....the rest is all down to volume, aggression, etc etc
I'm saying this now as a public proactive warning to all -
If anyone starts talking about not going into games with a plan on player's or anything like that (referring to Padders' point about previous games), you will be thread-banned and receive warning points!
That is all

Please be on your best behavior gents. I am extremely intrigued to see what answers my initial question flags up.

If anyone starts talking about not going into games with a plan on player's or anything like that (referring to Padders' point about previous games), you will be thread-banned and receive warning points!
That is all

That is all
Is this a semi-sarcastic response in reply to "a zero tolerance approach to dissent"? :p

I do know I need to get tougher on dissent - I've actively changed my choice of cards to make it easier to take bookings and reduce any subconscious bias that might exist against a caution in the heat of the moment. I'm not sure I'd ever go as far as "zero-tolerance", but there comes a point where being tolerant becomes actively incorrect.

Dissent is something that you need to deal with from the start of your referee career. Dealing with, and learning the principles on how to manage it, is a normal development point for 7-6 & 6-5 assessments.

If you haven't learnt to deal with by L4, then you will real struggle. The first few matches of "hard management" are difficult for young/inexperienced referees, but afterwards your refereeing improves. It is hard, but worth it.

I'm with @Padfoot on this one :). Critical piece is to clearly differentiate between verbals that are frustration, dissent and Offinabus. When it's non verbal dissent (kicking ball away, sarcastic clapping, throwing ball into ground in frustration etc) it's normally very obvious and straightforward to go straight to a card.

Players 'having words' about a decision is far less straightforward ... for me, the stepped approach works well when players are expressing frustration that could easily become dissent, either straight away or later in the game, if ignored. Clear cases of verbal dissent (eg angrily screaming at an official from thirty yards away) are when zero tolerance can really come into its own :ninja:...

Got to say Padfoot has got it spot on. There are some teams and players who I know are trouble with dissent and these games a zero tolerance approach works well

If it's a good tempered game and one off outburst I MAY have a word first depending on severity

No third chances though. Second outburst is a card every time

I'm with @Padfoot on this one :). Critical piece is to clearly differentiate between verbals that are frustration, dissent and Offinabus. When it's non verbal dissent (kicking ball away, sarcastic clapping, throwing ball into ground in frustration etc) it's normally very obvious and straightforward to go straight to a card.

Players 'having words' about a decision is far less straightforward ... for me, the stepped approach works well when players are expressing frustration that could easily become dissent, either straight away or later in the game, if ignored. Clear cases of verbal dissent (eg angrily screaming at an official from thirty yards away) are when zero tolerance can really come into its own :ninja:...

Agreed.
A lot of it will always come down to the age/experience and general tolerance level of the referee in question though which is why there is a lack of consistency when dealing with it appropriately and perhaps why the problem is often endemic in some leagues/areas and perhaps not so prevalent in others.
I tend to have a rather low tolerance threshold when it comes to dissent but this has happened gradually over the few short years I've been refereeing.
Take the "sarcastic clapping" example you give above: this has never happened to me before until a Saturday afternoon cup match 2 weeks ago where I was refereeing a team I've never done before. Barely 5 mins in, I give a DFK near half way (for a pretty straightforward and obvious trip) against red No2. He immediately holds his hands out with the bog-standard incredulous "you can't be serious ref" face on - to which I look him straight in the eye, smiling and nodding my head vigorously, continue to indicate the direction of the DFK. No 2 then jogs back towards his own penalty area sarcastically applauding my decision, clapping his hands above his head as he goes.
I immediately double-blast the whistle again, and call him to me, hand reaching for the pocket as I do. His apologetic reaction, but moreover the reaction of several of his team mates immediately chastising him for his error and showing their frustration at his stupidity, made me reconsider for a split second. As he approached me, I'd already changed my mind about the caution.
"Everybody gets a fair chance with me", I said to him, "and you've just had yours - okay?". "Sorry ref, and thank you" was his response.
Never heard a peep out of him dissent-wise (or his team mates to be fair) for the rest of the match.
After the final whistle this (African?) No 2 comes up to me, shakes my hand and says in broken English "Thank you ref - today is first game for me without card for this team". :D

You have got to deal with dissent early.

That may be a strong word. That may be the captain involved. It could be a straight caution. Which one depends on context and what has been said and done.

The worst thing you can do is ignore it to give it a chance to settle. Chances are, it won't, and then you are in trouble.

I have to say I'm pretty strong on dissent, it's uncalled for, completely unnecessary and adds nothing whatsoever to the game or spectacle.

I agree with @Padfoot about identifying repeat offenders based on your own past experience. That's not being harsh, that's being prepared.

I'm a huge believer in balance in everything: it would be equally damaging to be all one way or all the other in any situation and this one is no different.

For me it would be wrong to be 'zero tolerance' at all times, just as it would be to let everything go without question.

The balance is to use the same decision making process with each situation, but judge each on its merits.

I must admit I do enjoy a dissent caution. It's a large step to making my life easier on the day so i don't need much persuading to take the trouble.

Back