A&H

Dissent

Cheshire Ref

RefChat Addict
I Would be interested to hear some thoughts on this from Saturday.

Top of the table clash between two good sides. Home team have an older experienced centre back, the type that feel the need to call you sir as he thinks it will help him some how? Anyway, this particular player literally appeals for everything and i mean everything. Every ball out of play, every challenge he wants a foul, every ball sent over the top is offside. Even if his own player kicked the ball out for a throw he would appeal for his team. A quiet word did nothing so i went for the public dressing down and told him the definition of dissent and warned him that we both knew what we what he was doing and i wouldn't accept anymore. So now he pulls the, the ref's told me i am not allowed to say anything card, that was offside but im not allowed to appeal anymore. I did caution him for dissent in the end. I just wondered if anyone would have dealt with this any differently?

The Referee Store
Sound's like you used the stepped approach? Did you bring in the captain to complete it before you cautioned him?

He was trying to undermine you. With loud public dissent, imo it's either a caution or bypassing the first two steps and bringing the captain straight in. You have to be there really.

I didnt use the captain, i sent him off after 30 minutes and it was quite clear that his replacement was neither use nor ornament in this department.

Persistent low level dissent (and appealing for absolutely everything like that is low level dissent, because they're not genuine appeals) undermines your game just as badly as 'typical' dissent. Players like this - or the ones that come up and tell you what a good decision you made, even when it's against their team - are often just trying to manipulate you by acting like your friend. Sounds like you handled it well.

Handled it well. You gave him several opportunities and he didn't comply only has himself to blame.

Back