A&H

Discussion of Law Changes

You know what dem laws used to say....the referee is always right ( that may not be a completely accurate quote for those traffic wardens among us). Now
Its 'the referee is always right unless dat VAR interferes.....then its the referee was probably wrong whilst being right........
Am I making sense?........that's without the benefit of this rather large glass of Merlot I'm about to quaff.
If football was less concerned about "the referee is always right, do not question it!" and used a more realistic approach like "referees are human, they make mistakes just like you, nobody's perfect but they're doing their best, so get over it and get on with the game" maybe the Respect campaigns would have more traction.
Personally I've found doing something because it's rational a better course of action than doing it simply because I'm told, but of course FIFA hasn't ever been a bastion of common sense.

The Referee Store
Nice thought, but we have to be considered as right (away from VAR) and anything less allows mob rule to ensue. Yes we are human and will make errors but if you allow them to rule you then you’re never going to have a great game as someone needs to be in ultimate charge,

I had my first game last night in which the new laws were in operation, i said to both managers pre match that there had been a few changes most notably the hand ball and the fact you could play from inside the area from a goal kick.

One manager quickly says " ah yes but you still have to be outside the area when the ball is kicked"

No ive looked and looked and i cant see no mention of it so im certain im correct in thinking this isn't the case and you could as a player from the team taking the goal kick stand right next to the keeper.

He told me a referee from County FA told him this was the case.

Where'd you look? It's right there in Law 16:

1. Procedure • The ball must be stationary and is kicked from any point within the goal area by a player of the defending team • The ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves • Opponents must be outside the penalty area until the ball is in play

Not the opponent, a player from the side who have the goal kick.

That has never been a requirement. And it didn't become one.

Edit: sorry to misread the post. What the coach said is utterly inconceivable so perhaps I read it to make sense--either you misunderstood what he was trying to say or he misunderstood the other ref.

That has never been a requirement. And it didn't become one.

Edit: sorry to misread the post. What the coach said is utterly inconceivable so perhaps I read it to make sense--either you misunderstood what he was trying to say or he misunderstood the other ref.

I pretty much knew i was right but as he was so convinced himself you do start to question it, thanks for reply and clearing up.

I did have the IFAB app on my phone (would have been good to show him) but as the ground was 2 minute walk from home i left my phone at home.

So what the coach is saying is if the centre back takes the goal kick, the goal keeper has to stay out of the penalty area. Nonsense really. What would IFAB introduce such law.

So what the coach is saying is if the centre back takes the goal kick, the goal keeper has to stay out of the penalty area. Nonsense really. What would IFAB introduce such law.

I think hes saying if the keeper takes the goal kick his team mate has to be outside the penalty area (like previous seasons) and can only come into the box and touch the ball after its been played.

I think hes saying if the keeper takes the goal kick his team mate has to be outside the penalty area (like previous seasons) and can only come into the box and touch the ball after its been played.
And if the centre back is taking the goal kick? Isn't the goal keeper centre back's team mate?

He could enter obviously but goal kick was retaken if he touched the ball.

Hes saying (i think) that although you can now play "a shorter goal kick" a defender still had to wait outside the area until the ball was played.

Teammates have never, ever been required to be outside the PA at any time during a goal kick. All 11 could have been, and still could be, in the goal area if they wanted.

Back