A&H

Differences between OA and vets

HarryD

Hi all

Got my first vets game next week (it's been a long time coming...) and have heard a couple of stories.

What should I expect? Cheers!!

The Referee Store
where to start:

Vets games tend to be slower paced as in general (though not all the time) the players are older, slightly more rotund and less fit.

The standard of teams can vary dramatically even in the divisions, where you may end up with a team that has players that have played earlier in their careers at a much higher standard, or you end up with some older players that always have played at grass roots.

Players tend to have been round a bit, so know how to tread the line, especially when it comes to dissent, one of the best descriptions I had from one of my 7-6 assessments was "they spread the dissent round more, so you can't easily single out a player to make an example of"

They also can be a lot more cynical in committing fouls to break up promising attacks.

Having said that i've found that they also tend to realise that they have to go to work on the Monday so are less likely to throw themselves into the really excessive leg breaking challenges.

In general I tend to find that they less demanding in terms of physical effort but have greater potential to challenge your match control.

However having said that, i've had Vets games at both ends of the spectrum, everything from a really nice (and boring to referee) game of football to what felt like the start of World War 3!

Last season I set up a vets team which has continued this season.

On the whole, its about 22+ blokes getting the chance to play a game of football once a month. Shocked to read @Justylove 's comments about match control, all the games I have taken part in have been played in a great spirit - yes, some tackles have been late, but that's because the body no longer responds as swiftly as the mind would expect!

In our league, the lower age limit is 35, I've played with and against players in their 50s. There will be a wide range of ability & fitness.

We play 35 mins each way, rolling subs. We submit team sheets (upto) a couple of days after the game to the league, we don't give them to the ref. Don't expect, for example, everyone to be wearing the same shorts, or have the right sock tape etc.

The way our league works is we have 3 regional leagues, winner of each league + best place runner up go into semi final play offs, followed by a final. At a league meeting before the start of this season I heard (not sure if true, but the principle is) that there had been no yellow cards in the league games, but 2 yellows within first 5 mins of semi final for a couple of technicalities - the ref's we had in our league games were experienced, pragmatic chaps. I gather young and upcoming thrusters were appointed for the semis who didn't quite understand the "ethos" of the league (sits back, dons tin helmet ...)

Agree with that JustLovely... the overall pace is generally a bit slower but some 35s are still pretty quick. Defenders do tend to be a bit more rotund and mouthier that general OA. Tackles are sometimes OldSkool and they can't see what they've done wrong. When they started those tackles were sort of expected and not seen as dangerous! They don't tend to threaten either, if something is riling them they don't hang back in my experience. There is a bit of a pub culture too so all seems to calm down in the pub after without the boyish handbags that you see in the OA pub leagues.

Last season I set up a vets team which has continued this season.

On the whole, its about 22+ blokes getting the chance to play a game of football once a month. Shocked to read @Justylove 's comments about match control, all the games I have taken part in have been played in a great spirit - yes, some tackles have been late, but that's because the body no longer responds as swiftly as the mind would expect!

In our league, the lower age limit is 35, I've played with and against players in their 50s. There will be a wide range of ability & fitness.

We play 35 mins each way, rolling subs. We submit team sheets (upto) a couple of days after the game to the league, we don't give them to the ref. Don't expect, for example, everyone to be wearing the same shorts, or have the right sock tape etc.

The way our league works is we have 3 regional leagues, winner of each league + best place runner up go into semi final play offs, followed by a final. At a league meeting before the start of this season I heard (not sure if true, but the principle is) that there had been no yellow cards in the league games, but 2 yellows within first 5 mins of semi final for a couple of technicalities - the ref's we had in our league games were experienced, pragmatic chaps. I gather young and upcoming thrusters were appointed for the semis who didn't quite understand the "ethos" of the league (sits back, dons tin helmet ...)

The assessor I had for my 6-5 last weekend also did me for one of my 7-6's. We had a decent chat after the game and he told me that he would have every 7-6 candidate assessed on one Vets game out of their 3 required, as its a great test for their ability to control a game. The vets games in my area tend to be the ones that are covered last by the appointments secretary so I only generally tend to get them now if my initially appointed game gets called off and I can help the appointments secretary out.

thanks for that gents! As a 20 year old, I'm expecting them to take the biscuit with dissent, I'll probably be more lenient with challenges than normal because of enthusiasm and slowing legs... and ignore mandatory cautions for the purpose of match control *runs and hides* :D:D:D

thanks for that gents! As a 20 year old, I'm expecting them to take the biscuit with dissent, I'll probably be more lenient with challenges than normal because of enthusiasm and slowing legs... and ignore mandatory cautions for the purpose of match control *runs and hides* :D:D:D

Yeah! A recruit!

Some of these players aren't registered anyway so don't worry about cards and match control!!! :(

Are you Harry Dobson in disguise? I ask for a friend.

Back