A&H

Did I make a boo boo

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
Free kick awarded 25 yards from goal defending teams manager calls for a sub, as i turn to him the attacking team take a quick free kick and score, a few defenders had stopped.

The Referee Store
Did you shout to the coach? If you engaged with him about the sub, I feel you disadvantaged the defending team.

I think there’s more a spirit of the game thing here rather than LOTG

If the defenders stopped expecting the substitution, although ‘play to the whistle ‘ applies, you really should have pulled it back and allowed the substitution.

Where were you?
Were you on the move?
When had you whistled the offence?

Ceremonial FKs have been discussed a lot on here.
If you moved to the location of the ball, if you were standing at the spot, if you had started pointing at players, if seconds had elapsed... then it's not a "quick free kick anymore" and by not confirming to everyone that you are in control you are then open to this kind of potentially game changing incident. If you have to go and get involved, make the first thing you do the communication with the kicker that it's on the whistle... then deal with everything else.

If you didn't get involved, if you were away from the spot, if it was taken from the right place... if you were happy with the quick free kick then good goal!

I was right next to where the foul was committed , the kick was taken within 2 seconds of awarding it id say.

I had my back to the line, i did him shout me but as i was about to turn round the kick was taken.

The kick was taken from the right spot.

I think as posted above by the LOTG it was a perfectly good goal but the coach probably has reason to feel hard done by.

I always use the whistle to signal a sub. If a manager asks for a sub and I don’t engage by giving a blast/two, it is game on. You didn’t do anything wrong and everyone will have a different way of doing things but, this is just my own way to try and elimnate any possible confusion.

The fouled team is entitled to a QFK. On the flip side any team is entitled to a substitution at a stoppage.

By law it's all good, within the spirit, YHTBT to see 'which spirit' :) takes precedence , QFK or substitution. Sounds as though the coach was trying to be clever to stop a good opportunity for the fouled team to take a QFK. So playing on sounds fine.

You've done the right thing.
I don't understand why people are talking about the 'spirit of the game'. For all we know, the manager had no intention of making a sub, saw they were going for a QFK, and tried to delay it.

But if you're only becoming aware of the request for a sub as play is restarting, then by the time I look over to confirm what I've heard and then back at the ball...well, I'm not going to be stopping play after it's started (and in my area, we're pretty strict on managers having the player at the halfway line ready to come on - so I'm looking to check for that first). I'd offer a shout of 'next out!' which helps clarify that play is continuing, but aside from that, defender's fault for stopping here. And they all know better.

Hmm, had you ignored the shout, or even shouted over "next time", I would say correct decision. The face you turned to face him though is potentially a problem as the defending players may react to this, and could you see the free kick being taken if you weren't looking at it? If the answer to the last question is no then you needed to stop play as you wouldn't know if it had been taken legally.

as i turn to him the attacking team take a quick free kick
I had my back to the line, i did him shout me but as i was about to turn round the kick was taken.
Slightly contradicting accounts here. Did you turn to him before the kick was taken or were you merely about to turn? I think it makes a fairly significant difference. If you had already turned and were facing away from the ball and towards the side line, then as @RustyRef said:
The fact you turned to face him though is potentially a problem as the defending players may react to this, and could you see the free kick being taken if you weren't looking at it?
On the other hand if you hadn't already turned then the defenders should not have been affected and you could correctly observe the kick so it would be OK, as far as I'm concerned.

You've done the right thing.
I don't understand why people are talking about the 'spirit of the game'. For all we know, the manager had no intention of making a sub, saw they were going for a QFK, and tried to delay it.

The reason we are discussing spirit of the game is to confirm whether the manager calling for the sub is acknowledged. If he wasn't, play on. If he was, spirit of the game, you allow the sub not the quick free kick.

Whether he was actually going to make a sub I'd say is irrelevant, You can't approve of something and then do something different. (I'm aware that the OP didn't say they acknowledged the manager, this is hypothetical)

I didn't see any signal to suggest he was making the sub, he shouted ref and i was probably on the half turn (cant be 100% certain)when the kick was taken.

If i had seen his signal to make a sub then obviously i wouldn't have let play continue.

Back