A&H

Derby Forest

The Referee Store
Keith Stroud, the referee who will forever have the Newcastle v Burton penalty hanging over his head. He’s been shocking every time I’ve seen him, it almost feels like he wants to be centre of attention most of the time

Disclaimer - I'm. A Forest Fan :)

For me he got 3 things badly wrong.

Penalty shout for D*rby, absolute stone wall, stupid challenge from Darikwa. Only thing that he may have thought was the reaction from Tom Lawrence was very exaggerated.

In the first half, Forest got a free-kick and as Carvalho went to get the ball, Bogle (i think), ran 15 yards and pushed him blindside in the back onto the floor. He got a "calm down" talking to. At best that should have been a yellow.

The two footed tackle on Carvalho, yes he got the ball, but as we all know that's not the point. It was a stupid ugly challenge for the ball and had he made contact likely a leg breaker. Stroud didn't even bat an eyelid.

On the elbow from Bogle, I can see why he gave a yellow for it, for me, it looks "orange" definitely didn't see it as being a clear red, but can understand why on a different day it might be.

All in all one of the most entertaining 0-0's to watch and probably a fair result,

Only watched bits of it, but I have to agree he had a mare.

Did anyone else notice the advantage he played in the first half, to then immediately blow up for offside? Foul on player 1, ball goes through to player 2, advantage played as it's a good position, player 2 blown for offside. Instead of going back to the original offence from which there was no advantage, he gave a IDFK for offside. Strange?

If Mr Bean ever became a referee I’m sure he’d model himself on KS.... is that the best at that level? Geez, I should have tucked my shirt in a bit more often, this promotion lark must be a doddle! 👍

The biggest issue for me in each case from last night is positioning - he’s almost straight on for the first penalty, always seems to be struggling to keep up. Simple stuff like penetrating the area that I’d expect amateur refs to be fit enough to do he seems incapable of whenever I’ve seen him. He must have had a few decent seasons at some point to get where he is, but it’s just howler after howler

The biggest issue for me in each case from last night is positioning - he’s almost straight on for the first penalty, always seems to be struggling to keep up. Simple stuff like penetrating the area that I’d expect amateur refs to be fit enough to do he seems incapable of whenever I’ve seen him. He must have had a few decent seasons at some point to get where he is, but it’s just howler after howler
Makes you wonder why he hasn't been usurped by a younger ref with talent. The Matt Richie penalty (with Men In Black showing Stroud the Law on an iPad at the touchline) ought to have been enough to raise alarm bells. I get the impression from the forum that promotion/demotion gets quite scientific towards the SG2 level, but I have my doubts about the transparency of the process
Last night's game could have went pear shaped because Stroud used some poor early decisions to set the level of the bar for the rest of the game

Simple stuff like penetrating the area that I’d expect amateur refs to be fit enough to do he seems incapable of whenever I’ve seen him. He must have had a few decent seasons at some point to get where he is, but it’s just howler after howler

Must be judged on a different criteria to grassroots refs though? (I know that's a stupid question...)

Must be judged on a different criteria to grassroots refs though? (I know that's a stupid question...)

Yeah no doubt there’s a different process but it makes you wonder, positioning is meant to be something you iron out as soon as possible. Too many top refs don’t seem to have got it

Yeah no doubt there’s a different process but it makes you wonder, positioning is meant to be something you iron out as soon as possible. Too many top refs don’t seem to have got it
Don't read too much into the positioning rubbish, its luck 99% of the time, better refs are just luckier!!! ;)

Stroud used to be a safe pair of hands, but you have to wonder if age has caught up with him given he will soon be 50. Sometimes referees do go on for too long and taint what has been a very good career.

Back