A&H

Declaring an Interest

Andrew Ewen

Got given my fixtures for the next month and noticed that I'd got a team where around 8 or 9 players are also in the local cricket team, whom I happen to play for, so I know these boys very well.

I informed the league and the ref sec however whilst doing so felt like I shouldn't have to. I'm not going to be biased just because I know these people and felt like my integrity was questioned. stupid I know. Just wondered if anyone felt similarly?

The Referee Store
When I was appointing I would expect referees to tell me where they have other interests - e.g. their sons play in this league, the man their wife cheated on with plays for this team, etc... It is to avoid any arguments really. I imagine most of these people will call you by your first name, and the opposition will pick up on this quickly "he won't give anything to us today lads - he's on their team" etc... Personally I don't like refereeing people I know closely, they expect special treatment, or they judge your every mood, or they try to show off etc...

Cut a long story shot. Save yourself trouble. Don't referee them.

Even if you try and make an effort to be seen to be 100% fair (if you know what I mean), likely you will be overly harsh on the team with the players you know well and accidentally favour the opposition! As @drahc said, I would avoid it.

I haven't taken the game as didn't want to put myself in that position. just felt it a shame that we feel like we have to reject appointments because the perception that our integrity will be in doubt is there.

Had one before where I was refereeing the age group below from the same club that I currently played at with about 75% of the team playing with me at some point in the past. Made this clear to the appointments sec and he told me it doesn't matter. As it happened it didn't, the game went fine :)

I would have preferred if hull said "it ended 5-0 to my lads, and nobody thought 5 penalties and a red card for looking at me harshly were unusual...."

:D

More seriously, it's the potential for trouble - nothing is ever guaranteed. :D

Got an Academy Development appointment of my County FA, my cousin plays for them (Ive i formed county fa many times of this) yet they still try to give me the game?

Back