The Ref Stop

Cut the Shocks for Referees (to use Grip shocks under)

rotvic

Hello, I wanted to ask you your opinion on this topic.
I have seen at some Premier League games this season some referees (both main and assistant) wearing their (black) socks cut off. Underneath I imagine they would be wearing non-slip socks.
I don't know what you think. I haven't seen it in Spain yet and I imagine that the referee committee here would be against it (they don't usually accept "modern" changes).
I read you

The Ref Stop
I started to do it towards the end of my refereeing career. I actually found that the grip socks helped.

If you can do the cut quite clean and get under socks that match your main socks, I imagine you’d be fine. Trick is to cut the sock, then burn the bottom part.

I started to do it towards the end of my refereeing career. I actually found that the grip socks helped.

If you can do the cut quite clean and get under socks that match your main socks, I imagine you’d be fine. Trick is to cut the sock, then burn the bottom part.
You can buy them pre cut now. Sock sleeves.

I've been wearing grip socks for 3 or 4 years for reffing and every other sporting activity.

Not a blister in all that time.

I cut off ref socks as suggested above which works well

Yes, I think it can help a lot with blisters and changes of direction.
But has anyone called you out on the uniformity? I wouldn't do it for now until I have the authorization of some high-ranking member of my referee committee.

Yes, I think it can help a lot with blisters and changes of direction.
But has anyone called you out on the uniformity? I wouldn't do it for now until I have the authorization of some high-ranking member of my referee committee.
Nope, never ever called out

As long as you can get the cut clean (or pre-cut) and under socks to match, it would only be noticeable if someone was staring at your ankles

If you start following the players and cutting holes in the calf you may get called out!

I don't see a problem with it, you'd have to be looking very closely to spot it. Similar to a few years ago when wearing a black long sleeved undershirt under a short sleeved referee shirt was frowned upon my many, whereas now it is pretty common.

I don't see a problem with it, you'd have to be looking very closely to spot it. Similar to a few years ago when wearing a black long sleeved undershirt under a short sleeved referee shirt was frowned upon my many, whereas now it is pretty common.
I hate long sleeve anything if I'm honest.
Had short sleeve thermals under short sleeved shirt.
Doesn't feel right, long that is, if I'm honest with short sleeved.
Plus, if you're in the middle, running around should keep you warm.

I hate long sleeve anything if I'm honest.
Had short sleeve thermals under short sleeved shirt.
Doesn't feel right, long that is, if I'm honest with short sleeved.
Plus, if you're in the middle, running around should keep you warm.
All about feeling comfortable. I don't like the cold, and if I'm cold and uncomfortable I'm not likely to be at my best.

I'm a short sleeve by preference but as I've gotten higher I am more inclined to wear a long sleeve when on the line to hide my tattoo on my arm. It's football related and I got it before I had even thought about becoming a referee. I will at some point (another promotion if it comes) do something about it, either a cover up or removal.

Back on the OP, cutting the bottom of my socks has brought 2 pairs back into circulation. Although, bizarrely heard someone comment, but they must have been looking damn close as the cut off was as far down as I could get it so they did not look obviously cut off 🤔

I'm a short sleeve by preference but as I've gotten higher I am more inclined to wear a long sleeve when on the line to hide my tattoo on my arm. It's football related and I got it before I had even thought about becoming a referee.
It’s that Euro 2020 guy with the flare up his harris isn’t it? England legend.

Back