The Ref Stop

Crowding the Referee - New Sanctions in MLS

biffnix

Joe Griego
Level 7 Referee
So this season, MLS here in the US is instituting sanctions against "crowding the ref" after a decision or incident.

Here's a link to the article.

Teams who instigate a "mass confrontation" with the referee (think Barcelona after a call they don't like) can be subject to a $5,000 fine, and a coach can face a $1,000 fine.

Players, predictably, don't like the new sanctions.

Are there similar sanctions against player behavior like that issued by the FA? Just wondering.

The Ref Stop
I'm not sure they need them TBH. Having read the article, I think the MLS sanctions are more for the 'mass brawl' in response to an ugly tackle as well as the players crowding the referee. (I loved the comment from a player "If someone hits a teammate, are we not allowed to do something about it?" - lol, like "Yeah, you get one free punch!")

Surely the Laws already cover "Pushing' 'Holding' 'Striking' 'Kicking' and swearing at an opponent? (and the ref)

Also covered is Dissent - if three or more players get in the ref's face over a decision, then there are probably three or more players who ought to be booked for it.

I have seen the ref being crowded many times on TV, Man U would do it loads (usually led by Roy Keane), Chelsea used to be really bad at it, as you mention, Barcelona as well.

If all the players involved get YC'd for it, they would soon stop - there would be one, maybe two weekends with a high number of cards, but they would soon get the idea.

I'm not sure they need them TBH. Having read the article, I think the MLS sanctions are more for the 'mass brawl' in response to an ugly tackle as well as the players crowding the referee. (I loved the comment from a player "If someone hits a teammate, are we not allowed to do something about it?" - lol, like "Yeah, you get one free punch!")

Surely the Laws already cover "Pushing' 'Holding' 'Striking' 'Kicking' and swearing at an opponent? (and the ref)

Also covered is Dissent - if three or more players get in the ref's face over a decision, then there are probably three or more players who ought to be booked for it.

I have seen the ref being crowded many times on TV, Man U would do it loads (usually led by Roy Keane), Chelsea used to be really bad at it, as you mention, Barcelona as well.

If all the players involved get YC'd for it, they would soon stop - there would be one, maybe two weekends with a high number of cards, but they would soon get the idea.

Heh. Yeah, I read that line and thought the same thing ("are we not allowed to do something about it?!"). Riiiiiiight.

Anyway, yes, I don't see much crowding the ref in the Premier League, so that's why I was asking. Honestly, I don't see it much in MLS either, but it does happen from time to time, enough that MLS admins want to start punitive fines to keep it from becoming a common occurrence. I thought maybe the English FA has similar sanctions in place, which is *why* it is rare in the Premier League. Just wondering was all, and the new fines for crowding the refs in MLS can be a good thing, I think. Stop it before it becomes a "thing" and all that...

I agree, more cautions would also stop it easily... The difficult balance for all professional leagues (as opposed to youth or amateur leagues) is that there is HUGE financial pressure to keep the matches entertaining. With hundreds of millions of dollars(pounds?) at stake around the world, the games straddle the contentious line between entertainment value and strict adherence to FIFA law. IFAB Decision 8 teaches us that we need to always keep in mind that the game exists for the enjoyment of both players and spectators, after all!

Cheers.

lol....yup, it is entertainment after all, but hey, a boring game can be livened up with a couple of red cards!

The Prem League did clamp down on dissent a couple of years ago I think, along with a push on the Respect campaign, and it does seem to have calmed things down a bit.

Back