A&H

CRO - BRA

Yes, he scored, but I think Brazil were crippled by passenger N and gifted the initiative to the aging Croaskies for large periods. Really poor and cavalier to play 424 against a quality midfield.

Meanwhile MO exudes class. However, I love him, but MO I don’t think has the imposing mean face that FIFA like.

The Referee Store
I think we decided that it would also include kneeling to head a ball that was on the ground.

It popped into my head because I think the natural thing to do would have been to kick it back in this case, the use of a knee was definitely done "artifically" in order to avoid a pass back. But like I said originally, probably just about justifiable enough.
I didn't notice this incident (I watched the game) but I take it the ball was roughly knee high. If not ignore this post.

Imagine a ball is coming down to a defender with no attacker near him, he makes it bounce head high and then heads it back to the keeper. A much easier and natural play would have been to control it with the foot on the bounce or second bounce. No one even thinks of trick to circumvent the laws here. If a ball is already knee high or thereabouts, kneeing it back to the keeper shouldn't even raise thoughts of trick to circumvent the laws. The reason 'deliberately' kneeing it back to the keeper is allowed is to cover this situations. Otherwise what other reason would it be allowed for? The general times players knee a ball is when it is knee high.

To be clear the word trick is not for referring to the act of playing the ball but for the act of circumventing the law. For example after a direct cross from an attacker if the defender heads the ball thrice before heading it again to the keeper, this act is not a trick to circumvent the law even though heading it four time is trickery.

I didn't notice this incident (I watched the game) but I take it the ball was roughly knee high. If not ignore this post.

Imagine a ball is coming down to a defender with no attacker near him, he makes it bounce head high and then heads it back to the keeper. A much easier and natural play would have been to control it with the foot on the bounce or second bounce. No one even thinks of trick to circumvent the laws here. If a ball is already knee high or thereabouts, kneeing it back to the keeper shouldn't even raise thoughts of trick to circumvent the laws. The reason 'deliberately' kneeing it back to the keeper is allowed is to cover this situations. Otherwise what other reason would it be allowed for? The general times players knee a ball is when it is knee high.

To be clear the word trick is not for referring to the act of playing the ball but for the act of circumventing the law. For example after a direct cross from an attacker if the defender heads the ball thrice before heading it again to the keeper, this act is not a trick to circumvent the law even though heading it four time is trickery.
The reason it looked odd and got my attention is that he had to "lower" his knee in order to get it back to the GK. It was an extremely unnatural movement from a position where he easily could have played it with his foot, which is why it made me question if trickery could possibly have applied.

I doubt it will come close to making highlights though, so no idea how to go about finding a clip or still!

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but we should not be looking for trickery. Trickery should jump up, grab us, and shake us. Unless you're thinking "WTF? I can't believe he did that!" trickery really shouldn't cross your mind. The overwhelming majority of us should never come close to calling trickery.

Right. Exactly my point! It felt weird and unnatural, my immediate instinct was to ask "is that allowed?"

The very reason we're having this discussion at all is because it passes your test!

Right. Exactly my point! It felt weird and unnatural, my immediate instinct was to ask "is that allowed?"

The very reason we're having this discussion at all is because it passes your test!
It seems it only felt that way to you. To me I saw the reaction from the attackers and thought it was laughable, that is never a deliberate pass to the keeper. Don't go looking for issues that you don't need to, as referees we have enough problems to deal with without finding additional ones.

Back