A&H

CRC vs NZL (World Cup 2022 Qualification - Play off final)

george.g

Level 5 Referee
I've shortened the following clip from Costa Rica's game vs New Zealand, in the World Cup Qualifications Play off final.

New Zealand equalise back to 1-1, before VAR checks and disallows the goal, for a foul in the build up by NZL.

People on social media are calling it corrupt ect, wondering on peoples thoughts.

The Referee Store
Can't see it here, but a close up shows the costa rica play almost trip into the NZ player, who then hooks his arm around the CR defender's leg, slowing him. Not sure how harsh it is.

almost trip up...as in it's a foul on the NZ player first?

the video is unhelpful, i'd also like to see this not disallowed based on the horrific yet unchallenged attempted clearance from the costa rica defender

Monumental VAR interference and colossal impact
Exactly the opposite of how/why VAR was sold to us in precisely the type of high stakes game it was meant to benefit
And yet, I'm told VAR is much better on the International Stage... well it must be, although not on this calamitous occasion
That said, whilst match fixing is an ongoing thing, I'm not sure even I could stretch my mind to suspecting skulduggery on a stage as big as this

Last edited:
I just think the foul threshold was very inconsistent when looking at the VAR “overturn” compared to the NZ penalty appeal which was turned away without a recommendation for a VAR review.

For me, either both are fouls or both aren’t. Felt to me like they were similar types of contact.

Overall, I was not overly impressed. The referee seemed overly nervous and lacked presence. I get this was a big game for him (probably the biggest in his career), but I didn’t get a feeling that he was comfortable on that stage. I’d be really nervous if I saw him in the middle of a US match in Qatar.

Dont get a great look at it but surely if there is any fouling, its Costs Rica barging into NZ first, then CR might indeed fall over the NZ leg

neither of which are fouls at all, and certainly not obvious error

random guess, the referee will claim his view was blocked real time.

easy to see why man on street yells corrupt here, not a good call at all

Fair to say that media and public reaction here in New Zealand has been far from impressed ....

Unfortunately this 'hype' has also extended to the New Zealand red card decision (upgraded by VAR from a yellow, correctly IMO) and a non red card for an elbow by a Costa Rica player (clearly a yellow, elbow not used as a "weapon"). This has undermined the credibility of those (correctly IMO) complaining about the disallowed goal

If the referee had given the foul initially, I don't think anyone would have complained but by the same token, I really don't see how there's enough of a clear error there for an OFR (and subsequent overturn) to be required.

I think it is a foul, the final bit where he appears to throw the defender off, but I don't think anyone, including FIFA and IFAB, have any idea if VAR should be getting involved there. This is the issue, what constitutes a clear and obvious error varies even within organisations (just look at the EPL), so to expect a standard implementation worldwide is nothing more than a pipedream.

I think it is a foul, the final bit where he appears to throw the defender off, but I don't think anyone, including FIFA and IFAB, have any idea if VAR should be getting involved there. This is the issue, what constitutes a clear and obvious error varies even within organisations (just look at the EPL), so to expect a standard implementation worldwide is nothing more than a pipedream.
Agreed. Some leagues/competitions have been better at consistency than others, but I agree the hope of being fully consistent across leagues and competitions is a pipe dream.

Back