A&H

county cups - distance

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
If you're appointed to a county cup game that is 75 minutes travel each way (no petrol allowance) is that a reasonable request?

A&H International
Think that needs a discussion with whoever appointed you, and also the distance as well as the travel time. Where I live I could be in Northampton in 75 minutes which is 65 miles, equally I could be in Dulwich which is 13 miles.

This is obviously the disadvantage of a lot of competitions choosing to go down the route of all-in fees. Sometimes you need to remind yourself that you'll get close appointments where the all-in fee is more that you'd have got had it been fee + mileage, and it'll probably even itself out over time. If that wasn't the case and I was getting lots of appointments where the 'mileage' was cutting into my actual 'fee' then I'd be having a word.

County pay the same as our local league. Has down for 3 or 4 years now. No extra money there.

My referee friend is not happy but if he refuses he does not ref at all that day.

He's asked the question and was told lack of referees available in that area that day.

County pay the same as our local league. Has down for 3 or 4 years now. No extra money there.

My referee friend is not happy but if he refuses he does not ref at all that day.

He's asked the question and was told lack of referees available in that area that day.
It was fair & reasonable for the Referee in question to ask the County FA about the distance & a reasonable response from the FA. What happens next is where different Referees will do different things. Many will say ok fair enough - not ideal and a long way but I can still get there & since I am available & been appointed that’s where I will go. Others, especially these days if the maths don’t add up will perhaps say I’m not going & some may have transportation issues so may not be able to get there in what would be deemed an appropriate time. I will always go where I am appointed to.

It was fair & reasonable for the Referee in question to ask the County FA about the distance & a reasonable response from the FA. What happens next is where different Referees will do different things. Many will say ok fair enough - not ideal and a long way but I can still get there & since I am available & been appointed that’s where I will go. Others, especially these days if the maths don’t add up will perhaps say I’m not going & some may have transportation issues so may not be able to get there in what would be deemed an appropriate time. I will always go where I am appointed to.
He's e-mailed and told them it's too far and he's not reffing that day.

I think it's not reasonable and in the same situation i would refuse too.

Spent 2½ hours on buses getting TO my County Cup match on Tuesday after the fixture was reversed a day or two beforehand.

(Car having MOT, needs work - original fixture 20mins on train and a short walk)

Thankfully a lift (most of the way) home. One of them things.

Get to pull on the County badge, keep A/S happy, and stay in the hat for plum fixtures.

Spent 2½ hours on buses getting TO my County Cup match on Tuesday after the fixture was reversed a day or two beforehand.

(Car having MOT, needs work - original fixture 20mins on train and a short walk)

Thankfully a lift (most of the way) home. One of them things.

Get to pull on the County badge, keep A/S happy, and stay in the hat for plum fixtures.
Impressive and kudos to you.

Back