A&H

Correct positioning at kickoff

Rob123

Where is the correct position to stand at kickoff. I was just looking at one of the observer forms and this is one of the things they mark. ?

A&H International
I've never been taught a "correct" position at kick-off. Others might have more input.

But I stand to the left of the centre circle in the half of the team that's kicking off. I find this the best spot to react to whatever they do when they kick.

As an observer I look for the referee to be positioned sensibly and aware of tactics - e. g. are there 4 or 5 attackers on the halfway line by a touchline.
There is no prescribed "right place"

Where is the correct position to stand at kickoff. I was just looking at one of the observer forms and this is one of the things they mark. ?
At out Level 4 Training Day this year, these positions were discussed
Red is a definite no no
Choose a green cross depending on tactics and who has KO etc. Personally, I'd suggest the far side from your AR so that leaves two green crosses IMO
You must be able to see the entirety of the centre line1665823091528.png

Attachments

• 1665822978782.png
    1665822978782.png
    9 KB · Views: 4
Red is a definite no no
Choose a green cross depending on tactics and who has KO etc. Personally, I'd suggest the far side from your AR so that leaves two green crosses IMO
View attachment 6051
Thanks for that. Without Ars you recommend any of the green crosses ?

Red is a definite no no
You must be able to see the entirety of the centre lineView attachment 6052
The problem here is if it goes long you are left to sprint from one circled x to the other to get to the circled x, which is more the expected position .
I choose to, and was advised your uncircled green X's in the kicking off teams half that way you get a view of encroaching attackers and also less distance to travel into your expected positioning in open play.

The problem here is if it goes long you are left to sprint from one circled x to the other to get to the circled x, which is more the expected position .
I choose to, and was advised your uncircled green X's in the kicking off teams half that way you get a view of encroaching attackers and also less distance to travel into your expected positioning in open play.
Yes, I mean they're downplaying the importance of facing your AR at every opportunity. TBH, I think the coaches overthink this starting position. Main point being, you must be able to see all of the centre line and one of the four X's is OK depending on which way the wind is blowing

You're right though, the UK training days have you starting at one of the non-circled green X's

I should've added a red X directly between each penalty arc and the centre circle. Don't tend to get a clear view from there

Red is a definite no no
You must be able to see the entirety of the centre lineView attachment 6052

EDIT… this nonsense written thinking this was goal kicks. I’ll leave it just to show what a muppet I am

Eek - I don't buy this at all.
It all depends on how the kick is taken, and f the team's goal kicks are consistent or random.
I think the most important thing - with my observer hat on - is that the referee can explain their thought processes and how they were able to adapt to the goal kicks.

With my ref hat on, here are a few examples from the last couple of weeks:

- Youth team playing every goal kick very short, defender takes the kick and passes to goalkeeper in the goal area, every time, within a moment there are 5-6 players in the box. Every time. None of the starting positions above are "right" for this. Let's say they are playing from the right, I'm starting central, about 30m out, ready to move on my diagonal either way.

- OA good grassroots mens, goalkeeper had a very long kick, always landing in the same area - around the green circle in the opposite half. Every time. The only option was to start very wide close to the centre line - to get side on, have the players in view and in case it went shorter.

- OA mens again, every kick aiming for the left touch line at half way - I tried starting wider on the touchline but was forced off the field. The only option was to start at the edge of the centre circle. With this I was side on the drop and able to easily adapt to the second phase.

Yeah, I really struggle with the diagram and I would hate having to try to educate other refs with that.

Last edited:
Eek - I don't buy this at all.
It all depends on how the kick is taken, and f the team's goal kicks are consistent or random.
I think the most important thing - with my observer hat on - is that the referee can explain their thought processes and how they were able to adapt to the goal kicks.

With my ref hat on, here are a few examples from the last couple of weeks:

- Youth team playing every goal kick very short, defender takes the kick and passes to goalkeeper in the goal area, every time, within a moment there are 5-6 players in the box. Every time. None of the starting positions above are "right" for this. Let's say they are playing from the right, I'm starting central, about 30m out, ready to move on my diagonal either way.

- OA good grassroots mens, goalkeeper had a very long kick, always landing in the same area - around the green circle in the opposite half. Every time. The only option was to start very wide close to the centre line - to get side on, have the players in view and in case it went shorter.

- OA mens again, every kick aiming for the left touch line at half way - I tried starting wider on the touchline but was forced off the field. The only option was to start at the edge of the centre circle. With this I was side on the drop and able to easily adapt to the second phase.

Yeah, I really struggle with the diagram and I would hate having to try to educate other refs with that.
Kick off not goal kicks santa!

Back